Pappy 12 vs 20 year

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Pappy 12 vs 20 year

Unread postby Raczkowski » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:14 am

Hey all, haven't posted much but am trying to get a nice collection of bourbons. Nothing too crazy but just a nice selection that is respected when friends come over etc.

So Friday I got lucky enough to purchase a bottle of 12 year pappy. Then today a local store if mine had 10, 12 and 20 available. The 15 and 23 were sold. I picked
Up a bottle if the 20 year old bc I know I can at worst get my money back for it (two buddies wanted a bottle so I can recoup my money from them). My question is should I keep both bottles or hold
Into one as opposed to another? My buddy brought up a good point. I am in the beginning stagves of drinking bourbon. Will
I appreciate then intricate notes pappy will have? Or should I sell it to buddy for what I paid and take the 175 and buy 3-4 bottles if bourbon that may have a totally different profile. The fact that I have two bottles and I thought getting pappy is impossible is odd. I just don't want to look back and think I should have kept the bottle. It appears
This Liquors Store gets pappy every year as he had some last year as well.

Any help would be appreciated without any flaming :).

Cheers Guys.
Raczkowski

Re: Pappy 12 vs 20 year

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:42 pm

as a newbie you may or may not appreciate it. Your friends will. I'd either keep it until I felt I had the appreciation of what you like and dont like, or keep it until then and then share it with them.

For me, I'd sell the thing. It's too much damn money for a quart of booze, and I would never pay it. It's only 'worth' that amount because somebody else said it was. But, as much as I hate flippers, I'd sell it to my buddy for what I paid for it, then take that money and buy yourself a half dozen decent bourbons to experiment with and gain your knowledge and experience.
393foureyedfox

Unread postby GaryV » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:26 pm

Keep both, there's nothing that says you have to drink them right away. If you're not sure you'll be able to "appreciate" these right now you'll have a couple of very nice bourbons to drink whenever you think you can (not sure I buy into that whole train of thought anyway). In fact, it might be interesting for you to try a couple of pours of each, see what you think, write down a few notes, then put them away for 6 months to a year. Then taste them again and see if you notice anything different. Heck, you could do that for a few years.... purely in the name of research :D
GaryV

Unread postby RandyG » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:38 am

I would keep it. You already paid for it and if you ever want to get rid of it, you will have NOOO problem finding someone to buy it. If you want to drink it now, enjoy it. If you want to save it for later, then do so. Once you sell it though, its gone. On the other hand, if your buddy plans on drinking it, you could sell it to him and still enjoy it with a friend. I would not sell it for what you paid for it to someone you do not know. They might just turn around and sell it for a nice profit.

RG
RandyG

Unread postby Mike » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:28 pm

393foureyedfox wrote:\ .. keep it until I felt I had the appreciation of what you like and dont like.... keep it until then and then share it with them.

I agree with this part of 'fox comments.

Pappy 20 IS an exceptional bourbon in my experience. I tend to prefer older bourbons, but for myself I would never be willing to pay that much for a bottle of Pappy 20. I have a bit still left in my bottle of Pappy 20, for which I paid about $90 several years ago.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby Squire » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:16 am

Raczkowski wrote:. . . . I am in the beginning stagves of drinking bourbon. Will
I appreciate then intricate notes pappy will have? . . . .

Don't assume Pappy will have any more intricate notes than Four Roses LEs, Parker Collection, Buffalo Trace's BHC. Evan Williams Single Barrel, Old Grand Dad 114, George Stagg, Wild Turkey Rare Breed, Knob Creek Barrel Proof or a host of others. In fact you may find it has less because wheat recipe whiskys have a simpler flavor profile than their rye counterparts.

If Van Winkle had been the end all and be all of whisky that modern hype would have us believe the family wouldn't have had to sell the business.
Squire

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:41 pm

Squire wrote:If Van Winkle had been the end all and be all of whisky that modern hype would have us believe the family wouldn't have had to sell the business.

'nuff said!
393foureyedfox

Unread postby thomas15 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:42 pm

It is possible to buy an exceptional bottle of bourbon for less than $50.00

I just opened my first bottle of Four Roses Single Barrel that I paid $35.99 for. I'm sure others would disagree but it's hard for me to imagine that throwing another $100.00 plus bucks at a bottle will vastly improve the drinking experience. However, it is your money and if you want something and can afford it than by all means keep it. Sometimes we have to indulge our curiosity. And while you might not at this point fully appreciate all that the bottle has to offer that still doesn't mean you cannot find pleasure in drinking it. I guess if it were me, I would open the 12 year and see if it appeals to me and if it does, save the 20 for the future.

By the way I'm in the same situation as you, just really starting to take bourbon seriously and assembling a collection. Most of my collection is middle shelf and there is about 30 bottles on my shelf. Some of it gets good reviews but I'm resisting the urge to open some of them until I get more experience. I understand the allure of PVW but I haven't seen it anywhere and so I haven't had to make your decision. I would like to ponder the same question with GT Stagg or maybe I will pop for a bottle of bookers or old forester birthday but that is the extent of my curiosity at this point.
Whiskey for Breakfast (in the key of Glock).
thomas15

Unread postby Squire » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:57 pm

Pappy is like dating a model, you want to until you do.
Squire

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:15 pm

Squire wrote:Pappy is like dating a model, you want to until you do.

hopefully, Pappy has more depth though.

Booker's is a good one to try. There's little choice when it comes to barrel proof, age stated bourbon that the distillery makes sure stays on every shelf at under $50. Plus, it's just damn good.....if you like hot and sweet, without feeling like you were hit in the face with a rotten oak limb.
393foureyedfox

Unread postby JLH3 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:24 pm

Pappy 20 is amazing stuff, but the 12 is nothing to sneeze at.

If I spent the rest of my life with Lot B, Rare Breed, Baker's and Willet's rye, I would be a happy, happy man.
Between the wish and the thing the world lies waiting.
- Cormac McCarthy, All the Pretty Horses

"Your hair was darker then."
- Grant
"My heart was lighter then."
- Rico
The Professionals
JLH3

Unread postby crappie_fisherman » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:25 pm

thomas15 wrote:It is possible to buy an exceptional bottle of bourbon for less than $50.00

I just opened my first bottle of Four Roses Single Barrel that I paid $35.99 for. I'm sure others would disagree but it's hard for me to imagine that throwing another $100.00 plus bucks at a bottle will vastly improve the drinking experience.

I TRULY ENJOY Four Roses...

I must say though...I was fortunate enough to come into a few bottles of Four Roses 125th Anniversary.

I paid anywhere from retail ($90/bottle) to more than retail ($130/bottle)...all bottles were purchased from liquor stores...so individual stores marked up for sale at the counter...

Anyway...for my palate the Four Roses 125th IS worth the money I paid...the sweetness on the front end with the almost immediate dryness to balance...the cherry flavors with a mouth full of floral notes and aroma...SILKY SMOOTH on the tongue...then as it rolls back in your mouth you get the ~101 proof heat...WOW...

Point being...to me...after tasting it...it IS worth the money...no questions...so much so...that I have one more bottle that I will NOT be parting with because I know I cannot replace it...it IS that good...

I also have a bottle of Pappy 20 from this year...we'll open that one next Friday at a tasting at our house with friends...I've been offered $200 more than I paid and I didn't even bat an eye...I bought it to drink and share...would I have preferred to pay less than the $150 it cost me...sure...but it is what it is...the novelty factor to be able to share this experience that is clearly OUT OF CONTROL on the pricing with my friends...the feeding frenzy is crazy.

I've got the WL Weller 12 year too...I'm told it is an excellent wheated bourbon..combine that with the PVW 20 and Makers 46...we'll have a good sampling of the wheaties at the sampling.

Throw in a straight rye (Angel's Envy Rye)...to help round out everyone's likes and dislikes..because everyone's palate is different...which makes it great!

For me...you've alrealdy laid out the money...enjoy it with friends slowly...and go back to it as your palate develops with different bourbons as suggested to see if you notice different notes...

Cheers!
crappie_fisherman

Return to Bourbon, Straight