Bourbons with funny names, Big House, and Big Ass

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Bourbons with funny names, Big House, and Big Ass

Unread postby Birdo » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:07 am

I see these bourbons with funny names and wonder who made this stuff and is it any good or is it just a conversaion item. Big House as in prison and Big Ass as in a work horse type animal. I'm not one to sample these cuz I figure it's ordinary swill in a well marketed bottle.

Anyone try these? Feel free to add any other stupid bourbon products.
Birdo

Re: Bourbons with funny names, Big House, and Big Ass

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:53 am

i see it when shopping the wine aisle with my wife too....

skinny bitch, plungerhead, fat bastard (cant remember if thats a wine or a beer).....
393foureyedfox

Unread postby Birdo » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:45 am

393foureyedfox wrote:i see it when shopping the wine aisle with my wife too....

skinny bitch, plungerhead, fat bastard (cant remember if thats a wine or a beer).....

Yea there is some sort of Skinny Girl product line that uses low calorie mixers and diluted booze for pre-made margaretias and such. I guess its for calorie conscience drunks. Sounds hideous.
Birdo

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:38 pm

One of her favorites is Menage a Trois.....I think she meant the wine....
393foureyedfox

Unread postby PollardsVision » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:34 pm

Birdo, I believe I'd consider your beloved Fighting Cock to be the hallmark when it comes to bourbon with funny names.
PollardsVision

Unread postby gman58 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:40 am

Not only bourbons with funny names, but so many new brands it's difficult to keep up with them. Just this week I was in the store and saw New Holland Artisan Spirits Beer Barrel Bourbon and Calumet Farm Bourbon Whiskey. There's also Lexington Bourbon (relatively new), Cleveland Bourbon, John B Stetson Bourbon, Senators Club Bourbon, Town Branch Bourbon, W H Harrison Bourbon... I'm sure there are more. My curiosity and my wallet are almost maxed out right now or I'd try to figure out a way to sample them.

I haven't taken the time to investigate any these, I don't know if all these brands are making the booze or buying it for bottling. I know there are many micro-distillers popping up all over the place. In my town of Columbus, OH there are two distillers that have been around for a few years. They started making the clear spirits but have been around long enough to age some product and have both introduced bourbons. Their names are OYO and Watershed. I tried them because they're local and I found I liked their products. But in general there are just so many these days!
Be Spirited Today
gman58

Unread postby Birdo » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:43 am

PollardsVision wrote:Birdo, I believe I'd consider your beloved Fighting Cock to be the hallmark when it comes to bourbon with funny names.

My goodness that is an astute observation. I didn't event think of that. But I did buy two bottles of it last week just in case shortages.
Birdo

Unread postby Squire » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:20 pm

For the most part it's MGP bulk whisky in a gussied up package and jacked up price. For the micros who have actually made something and aged it a couple of years I'm unimpressed. You really made that using only locally grown grain and water from your very own creek? Big woop. I'm not paying for your learning curve.
Squire

Unread postby Duewester » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:50 pm

I agree with Squire, paying for someones learning curve.

I've looked real close at some of those labels and many are bottled in New York, sold by a California Company from spirits made who knows where. I can't even find some of them in more than one ABC store at a time.
Duewester

Unread postby Squire » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:06 pm

Yes, buying finished bulk whisky and selling it for hand made prices is way, way more profitable than making it yourself which is part of the reason for the grand, over the top self congratulatory descriptions on their web site. Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!

I was reading one of those sites recently going on about their special high rye recipe (a standard MGP recipe, which was the giveaway) which made me wonder if they planned to copy that for their own make. Why would they when MGP already has that one nailed down pat? Truth is we're being asked to fund their project and line their pockets.

When they actually make something that is identifiably good is when they will get more than a yawn from me. In the meantime I refuse to pay four times the cost of a bottle of Barton for what is ordinary MGP stuff.
Squire

Unread postby PollardsVision » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:33 pm

What makes me most hesitant about craft whiskey (aside from the prices) is that, unlike beer, there isn't a huge need for it, IMO, thanks to regulations.

Bourbon and straight whiskey, by definition, will be of a certain quality. That wasn't and isn't the case with beer. The big brewers, free from having strict definitions for beer/lager/ale, raced to produce the cheapest, lighest, "most drinkable" product possible. That left a giant opening for the craft beer market.

But the big distillers make pretty damn good whiskey.

I'm all for variety and competition, but I really don't see how craft distillers can be as successful as craft brewers in the long-term.
PollardsVision

Unread postby Squire » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:55 pm

Good points, there really isn't a 'need' for craft distillers. The production of whisky lends itself to industrial scale and hand made is less important than well made.

We need to be careful of definitions as well, buying bulk whisky and paying to have it bottled doesn't make you a distiller, craft or otherwise.
Squire

Return to Bourbon, Straight