Pappy Prices. Help please.

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Pappy Prices. Help please.

Unread postby Elvisdoc » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:43 am

New to this forum, long time lover of good bourbon.
Had a chance to buy two bottles of Pappy Van Winkle yesterday and they were not easy to come by…..when I got home I realized I had paid over retail and not sure if I should take them back….they sold me the 20 year old for $249.99 and the 23 year old for $349.99. I had won the right to buy a bottle of the 20 year old at another liquor store 2 weeks ago and they only charged me $130 for the 20 year old. Obviously this latest proprietor marked up these big time but this stuff is so hard to get, and prices are all one the place on the internet, so I am not sure I should take it back or what. Also, I hear this may be the last year for the 23 year old as they are running out. What say the wise bourbon drinkers of this forum about these prices? Keep none, keep one or keep both. Thanks again for your response.

Mike
Elvisdoc

Re: Pappy Prices. Help please.

Unread postby jflsufan » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:29 am

Don't take it back. I'll take it off of your hands. E-mail me at jflsufan@gmail.com
jflsufan

Unread postby jflsufan » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:38 pm

E-mail me at jflsufan@gmail.com
jflsufan

Unread postby Squire » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:28 pm

Mike, Buffalo Trace has the aging whisky in the warehouses so the 23 year old expression will be around as long as people are willing to pay the price.

As for value, well, I wouldn't pay the prices you mentioned but years ago when prices were a fraction of what they are now I still left Pappy on the shelves to collect dust because I prefer rye recipe Bourbons.

I don't think it's a matter of worth though, rather what are they worth to you.
Squire

Return to Bourbon, Straight