101 Wild Turkey Rye vs 81 Wild Turkey Rye

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

101 Wild Turkey Rye vs 81 Wild Turkey Rye

Unread postby Mike » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:30 pm

Most of us on BE do not seem to find bourbons less than 90 proof worth our time. Gary Gillman recently did a review of Wild Turkey 81 proof rye and found it to be a 9 out of 10 whiskey.......... enough of a recommendation to lead me to buy a bottle and give it a try. I have always found the 101 WT Rye to be exceptionally good whiskey, but it is hard if not impossible to find now (has it been discontinued? I think it has).

So, I tried some 81 against the old 101. Quite a difference! The 101 is quite hot and spicy by comparison. So I decided that a fair comparison could only be with a 101 cut to about 81 proof. I am compelled to agree with Gary that this 81 proof rye whiskey is not just 101 cut. The two are quite different in taste. I would suspect that the 81 proof is lower in rye grain in its recipe than the 101 is/was. As to the winy element, the first taste that came to my palate with the 81 proof was a nice Chardonnay wine with its buttery overtones. Chardonnay is known for the influence of the barrel in its taste.

And, to my palate, this whiskey has some cognac resonances in its delicacy. All whiskies do not have to rush the palate and conquer it to bring it to life, some can fraternize with the palate and win it over with persuasion.

Although Gary and I disagree in regard to the benefits of barrel aging (I am in the definite minority here), here is a whiskey upon which we agree. It was my respect for his knowledge and experience with whiskey that I tried the 81 proof Wild Turkey Rye.

Thanks, Gary. I will keep this whiskey on my shelves and go to it often.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Re: 101 Wild Turkey Rye vs 81 Wild Turkey Rye

Unread postby gillmang » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:49 pm

Mike, I am very glad you enjoyed this whiskey and I must say your comments accord exactly with the impression I had. I can't add anything else so complete is what you say.

True we do differ on some matters but clearly not here.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby gauze » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:15 am

to throw this out there could the differences in favor between the 81 and watered down 101 WTRs be due to the kind of water that it was cut with? The tap water at your home or from a bottle is sure to have a different trace mineral content than what the Austin Nichols distillery has.
gauze

Unread postby PollardsVision » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:50 pm

I need to try this, I guess. When the 101 got 86'd, I determined I just wouldn't partake in the 81 proof stuff as my own personal protest (I'm Jimmy Russell lost a lot of sleep over that).

Maybe I need to give a fair shake though. I still haven't found a sub-$30ish Rye around here that I enjoy anywhere near as much as I loved the 101 Rye.

Or at least get a bottle to mix with WT101 so I can pretend I'm drinking WT Forgiven.
PollardsVision

Unread postby Mike » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:55 pm

gauze wrote:to throw this out there could the differences in favor between the 81 and watered down 101 WTRs be due to the kind of water that it was cut with? The tap water at your home or from a bottle is sure to have a different trace mineral content than what the Austin Nichols distillery has.

Good question, gauze, but I always used filtered water when I cut whiskey. Still, curiosity prompted me to go back and do another comparison this evening. The two still seem slightly different to me, but, on the other hand, is does seem unlikely that WT would do anything other than just add filtered water to the distillate to make it 81 proof rather than 101 proof.

As it happens, I have a 200 ml bottle of the 80 proof WT bourbon on hand in addition to the 81 proofer rye and the 101 proof rye. So, here goes that comparison. They are different (as you would expect, one being bourbon the other rye) to me. Again, like Gary Gillman, I find a bit more 'winy' sweetness in the 81 proof, and I think, as a result, it is better than the 80 proof bourbon.

Of course, anyone who is honest knows that the mind, not just the mouth, participates in tasting and can influence what one tastes. Has the power of suggestion interfered here? The 81 and the 80 taste different to me.

More curiosity drove me to compare the 81 agin the 90 proof 10 YO Russell's Reserve. Strange to say, these two seem closer in taste than do the 81 agin the 101 rye diluted to about 81 proof. The 81 proof rye is a mingling of 4 and 5 year old rye whiskies. I have read (anyone who knows correct me please) that all WT bourbons use the same recipe (high rye) and go into the barrel at the same relatively low proof. Differences would be the result of aging and mingling, neither of which is (as Gary Gillman noted in his review) insignificant as to the outcome of a whiskey. In fact, they are primary. The skills that Jimmy Russell (and his son) have mastered at WT are not the same skills (my opinion) that Chris Morris at Brown Foreman have mastered.

To continue this 'rye' game I took some 100 proof Bottle in Bond (at least four years old) Rittenhouse Rye, diluted to 80 proof and compared it to the WT 81. In color the Rittenhouse is considerably darker, four years represents the YOUNGEST rye used in this mingling, it may well, and probably does, contain much older whiskey. The color alone suggests that it contains older rye whiskey.

At 80 proof the Rittenhouse, like its source 100 proof whiskey, is good whiskey, but without any really distinguishing characteristics to set it apart. It is not the equal of the WT 81 proof rye because of the rounded 'winy' cast of the WT.

Another rye whiskey I will throw at the 81 proof WT is the Hirsch Selection 86 proof 10 Year Old Canadian Rye Whiskey (a ripoff of the Hirsch name, I am afraid). The other Canadian Rye whiskies I have are 100% rye whiskies of a completely different character than the WT (my opinion) and do not belong in this comparison. Neither does this Hirsch Selection Rye. The very light color of this ten year old reveals that it was aged in used barrels, or mingled with other grain spirits (possibly barely aged). This Hirsch Selection Rye is distinctive (my opinion) only because it contains some malted barley which gives it a nice rounded sweetness that I do like.

Conclusion: WT 81 proof rye, in my opinion, is a well balanced whiskey that offers excellent flavor (with some interesting round sweet 'winy' components), especially for the 80 proof category so often disparaged by many whiskey drinkers. Taking my cue from Gary Gillman (as I often have in the past), I explored this whiskey from the vantage point of my palate (not the equal of Gary's more experienced and refined palate). While you may consider it completely worthless to you, to me it was fun and entertaining............ and revealing. I would like to know more about how WT 81 rye is actually made, knowing full well that to know that secret might reveal more about my tasting procedures than about the whiskey.

Ask me do I care............ not one whit (the same not one whit I care for the opinion of those who care not for my long windedness, for they are under no obligation to read what I write, they have been repeatedly warned, and sometimes seem to forget that this is an ENTHUSIAST site). Whiskey drinking, and rating, is best thought of as a game. A game in which, if you play it well, you are always the winner. If you play it poorly, you are always the loser.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Return to Bourbon, Straight