Parker's Heritage Promise of Hope Bourbon

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Parker's Heritage Promise of Hope Bourbon

Unread postby Mike » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:31 pm

Fair warning to 'fox and others who do not like long posts - do not read!

The Parker's Heritage Collection bourbon releases are each unique and anxiously awaited by bourbon lovers. I have had them all and each is special in its own way. None are cheap whiskies, but all are exceptional......... and different.

This year's release (which I had to special order, since only a small number of bottles were allotted to GA and none to Savannah... except by special order), is, as expected, unique.

It is a 10 year old rye (fairly high I would guess) recipe. In the opinion of most experienced bourbon drinkers the best bourbon comes out at about 8 to 10 years of age (I love those bourbons, but also find some wonderful qualities in much older bourbons). The aim of this release was to embody the characteristics that Parker Beam of Heaven Hill Distillery (he of Parker's Heritage) finds most appealing to his well trained and seasoned palate.

Parker Beam, who has been the master distiller at Heaven Hill for many years, was recently diagnosed with Lou Gehrigs disease (ALS). A portion of the sales of this release go to the ALS Association, a worthy cause.

As to the bourbon........ its upfront sweetness is as much subtle as it is sweet, as thick as it is creamy. If you never moved the bourbon from the front of the mouth to the middle you might never know that an explosive burst of rye, cinnamon and ginger await you. They cleanse the palate and prepare it for the long spicy and only slightly dry finish that awaits you.

In all honesty, I can make no claims for the sophistication of my palate, at best, it is passable. But, what most impresses me about this bourbon is not the burst of spice at mid-palate, which I find noteworthy, but rather the subtlety of the upfront sweetness that barely holds its own across the entirety of the mouth. I find a few sips of water (resets the palate) in the midst of the sips to tame the spice a bit.

In what I hope is a tribute to Parker Beam, this bourbon is challenging. It is not a simple bourbon, it has something, especially upfront, upon which I can not put a label. My palate finds its upfront sweetness (and subtlety) the real mystery......... others might (and will) find its mid-palate, or its finish more of a challenge.

If you should try this bourbon, keep in mind that the subtlety of the front does influence the taste right the way through to the finish. I would really like to avoid (mostly because this bourbon is expensive) the argument of whether the 'best' is determined by cost. The best is determined by your own palate, not by cost.

Still, I do, and always have, maintained (and will defend it forever) that some bourbons are better than others. I always take that as a given. Your palate is you own and you should satisfy that first and foremost. There is nothing wrong with deciding that your favorite bourbons are inexpensive.

BUT, if you do so on BOURBONENTHUSIAST, be prepared to defend that proposition, as some have done..... a reasonable cost/benefit analysis based upon your palate is perfectly acceptable, as is mine for a much higher budget for bourbon, keeping in mind that I am unwilling to pay ridiculous prices for scarce bourbons.

Parker's Heritage bourbons are scarce and pretty expensive, and well beyond the means of some (maybe many) BourbonEnthusiast participants. But ALL bourbons belong to the discussion here.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Re: Parker's Heritage Promise of Hope Bourbon

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:21 pm

Haven't tried it yet but looking forward to getting a couple bottles.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby Mike » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:18 pm

Having another sip tonight. Still very hard for me to classify. I still get the subtlety as before, and some leather, but there is something here I cannot put my finger upon. To me it tastes older than 10 years. Puts me in mind of some of the Old Forester Birthday Bourbons, without the metallic twang. I suspect the different barrels with this release will be quite different. This one has little upfront sweetness. This bottle came to the right owner, one who values the power of older bourbons. On this pass, I would rate this bourbon as very good, but not extraordinary, as some of the other Parker's releases have been.

I tried a sip of this bourbon over agin a sip of Noah's Mill (15 YO) and a sip of 2007 Old Forester Birthday Bourbon. In my opinion, both the Noah's and the '07 Birthday Bourbon are better and more complex. I was surprised by how much better they are than this iteration of Parker's. I do hope the other barrels are better than this one, especially considering the cost.
Mike

Unread postby gillmang » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:47 am

Mike, different whiskey, but this current WT 81 proof rye is the best rye I have had in years. It is way better - IMO - than any Sazerac rye, Handy, Rittenhouse, Pikesville. It has a rounded, mature, but not overage, taste, and it is probably all of $23 in the U.S. (mine in Canada is $10.00 more). It bears a resemblance, in the mingling and profile, to Russell's Reserve rye but is actually better I think and costs rather less.

I like super-aged rye, too - it is almost a different category to a younger one so I won't compare it to the 81. But the 81 trumps ryes in its (approximate) age category which cost way more. I know some people don't like low proof, but to me neat sipping of a drink containing 40% alcohol is drinking very strong stuff as compared to most beverage alcohol. I don't want it stronger anyway except very occasionally.

And you have the advantage that the company balanced it (as clearly here) with its water for a superior taste. Does this mean all cheaper whiskey is better? Of course not. I have little use for corny-tasting bourbon or acetone-tasting rye. As I do for woody stuff where the distillery character is all rubbed out with time. It's the sweet spot I like and occasionally a modestly priced whiskey hits it better than one costing much more. I argue the same for Four Roses Yellow Label.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:07 pm

Finally got to try it in Atlanta. I really liked it.
Joe

Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby Mike » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:47 pm

Bourbon Joe wrote:Finally got to try it in Atlanta. I really liked it.
Joe

Because I respect your judgment and opinions on bourbon so much, Joe, I went back to my bottle for another go.

It is, in my opinion, an unusual bourbon. Since the bottle contains no barrel information, I must assume that the bottle I got was not from the same barrel as the one you got.

The one I have has very little of the barrel richness and sweetness that makes 10 YO bourbons so well received. This bottle is quite flat in its taste, each sip, as I distance myself from the name, is less rewarding than the last. It does have a certain subtlety but is lacking in bourbon distinctness aside from its tannic/spicy bite.

I am of a mind to send you a 50 ml bottle to have you judge it?

P.S. I do not even see how it could be used in a vatting...............????
Mike

Unread postby gillmang » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:54 am

I haven't tried this yet I believe. Difficult to envisage what mingling what work, maybe Forester 100 proof with one other?

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby vince » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:26 pm

I have had had several glasses of this bourbon and think it is very good but does not measure up to the previous Parkers releases. The signature "syrupy" mouthfeel and fullness I have come to expect in Parkers is not as prevalent in this one.

As for vatting?? Hmmm... how about 3:1 ratio Parkers and Old Fitzgerald 12 year old? I was also thinking about Makers. The sweetness of Makers may add a favorable profile to the Parkers. Just a suggestion
vince

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:25 pm

Mike wrote:
Bourbon Joe wrote:Finally got to try it in Atlanta. I really liked it.
Joe

Because I respect your judgment and opinions on bourbon so much, Joe, I went back to my bottle for another go.

It is, in my opinion, an unusual bourbon. Since the bottle contains no barrel information, I must assume that the bottle I got was not from the same barrel as the one you got.

The one I have has very little of the barrel richness and sweetness that makes 10 YO bourbons so well received. This bottle is quite flat in its taste, each sip, as I distance myself from the name, is less rewarding than the last. It does have a certain subtlety but is lacking in bourbon distinctness aside from its tannic/spicy bite.

I am of a mind to send you a 50 ml bottle to have you judge it?

P.S. I do not even see how it could be used in a vatting...............????

Mike,
Before I drank it, Based on its provenance, I assumed it would taste like 10 y/o Henry McKenna. It did not and I was as surprised as I could be. Perhaps a different batch than yours.
Joe

Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:49 pm

my eyes hurt..... :wink:
393foureyedfox

Unread postby Mike » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:56 pm

I went with a 50/50 vatting of W L Weller 12 YO and the Parker's. The question is what does it do to the Weller (which is a quite nice bourbon on its own). Verdict? An excellent whiskey. The Weller adds a mite of needed sweetness, but the Parker's holds it subtlety.
Mike

Unread postby GaryV » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:40 pm

I'm really enjoying my bottle, the finish goes on forever and is its best feature. A little bit of air time since opening it has slightly improved the nose and taste, but the finish is what this one is all about. I've heard about some pretty big variations between bottles and hope my second bottle, purchased at a different store, is as good as this one.
GaryV

Unread postby RandyG » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:15 am

NT
Last edited by RandyG on Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
RandyG

Unread postby Mike » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:37 pm

I have tried this bourbon on a number of occasions now and find that it has an acrid (defn. irritating or unpleasant taste or smell) taste that is just unpleasant. It is not a tannic taste, although it is drying. I have no idea if I purchased a poor example of this Heaven Hill release or if my palate is just unappreciative of it particular characteristics. But, me lads and lassies, as much as I wanted to, I do not like it and consider it bad bourbon for the cost. I hope I am wrong in that overall assessment and that my bottle was from a poor quality barrel. I have purchased and enjoyed every other release of the Parker's Heritage Series.
Mike

Unread postby Mike » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:23 pm

I just tried this bourbon after having had some spicy food. It was excellent on this occasion. Still has that acrid taste, but that works well with the remnants of the spicy salami.
Mike

Return to Bourbon, Straight