Stagg Jr. ?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Re: Stagg Jr. ?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Unread postby Jbuis » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:57 am

I'm new to the forum but thought I'd chime in here. Stagg Jr seems to cause quite a controversy. The Stagg purists seem to hate it, which is why BT should have probably named it someone else, but, for marketing, I understand why they named it what they did. I found some Jr for about $38 at Total Wine. Did a tasting against reg Stagg. Obviously reg Stagg was hands down better. BUT, I will say I like Jr alot. Don't get caught up in the hype though. Don't pay extra for Jr. At $40 it is a great pour....along the line of Bookers. If someone tries to gouge you at $60 then pass. There are others to be had at that price pt. all that being said, Jr is a really good bourbon.
Jbuis

Unread postby HOF44 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:05 pm

I have GTS from 2005 through 2013 and my bottle of JR holds up well. Some years of GTS are a lot better but some are not. I personally think JR is BTAC worthy. It's become one of my favorites. I have managed to acquire 6 bottles for the bunker.
HOF44

Unread postby jaycamm » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:40 am

I think the backlash against Jr. Has to do with it being a premeditated attempt to target the enthusiast market by capitalizing on the Stagg Legacy. If this was marketed as BT barrel proof the expectations would have been more realistic.
one whiskey for every ghost
jaycamm

Unread postby Red One » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:38 pm

I normally enjoy most pours neat, but this one was WAY too hot. Tonight I spent time adding moderate additions of water and got it to the point is was very enjoyable. A little sweet, actually, but very tasty and drinkable.
Red One

Previous

Return to Bourbon, Straight