Jim Beam 12 Years Old

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Jim Beam 12 Years Old

Unread postby gillmang » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:16 pm

Has anyone tried this? I saw it in NYC recently but opted for different choices.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Re: Jim Beam 12 Years Old

Unread postby Vital » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:58 pm

Where exactly in NYC? I'd love to try it.
How much did it cost?
Vital

Unread postby gillmang » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:07 am

Astor Liquors on Lafayette.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby bourbonv » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:01 am

I tried this on Monday and I was not impressed. I thought the Jim Beam Black had a better flavor. We were laughing about the fact that we were surprised Jim Beam did not call the 12yo "triple aged". I found it rather watery and weak in flavor.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby gillmang » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:03 am

Or sixtuple aged..? One to avoid therefore, IMO.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby Mike » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:30 pm

bourbonv wrote:I tried this on Monday and I was not impressed. I thought the Jim Beam Black had a better flavor. We were laughing about the fact that we were surprised Jim Beam did not call the 12yo "triple aged". I found it rather watery and weak in flavor.

I think you are exactly right about this one Mike, and Gary. It drinks weak. There are, in my opinion, $10 bourbons that are better. Beam seems to have succumbed to the 'what can we put out as a premium bourbon that is in fact cheap bourbon...... from the stocks that do not fit any of our profiles and are more or less useless to us'.

Sooo, to 'rectify' their mistake, I tries about 40% of Knob Creek Single Barrel at 120 proof and added about 60% of this 12 YO faux bourbon and achieved a 100 proofer that is quite good, but not exceptional...... it needs something else.........

Soooo, I takes 35% KCSB, 55% Beam 12 YO, 10% of what I call my acrid/tannin extender (2008 OF Birthday Bourbon), and a few drops of leavening Buffalo Trace (low rye recipe) and voila, c'est fini! It has sweetness, it has roundness, it has spice, and it has a mite of the lengthening from the 12 YO '08 Birthday Bourbon.

It is now a very good bourbon at around 98 proof. Getting there using the 'new' 12 YO Beam took some doing, and at its best it is still only a very good bourbon, with no serious faults? Out of curiosity, I throwed it in the ring agin Old Forester Signature (100 proof), and the OF floored it.

Beam, compared to the other distilleries (my opinion), has little to brag about over the last few years, and this 12 YO is definitely a dud.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby gillmang » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:39 am

Good vatting work though Mike, you made the most of it and created something unqiue.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby gillmang » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:39 am

Good vatting work though Mike, you made the most of it and created something unique.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby Mike » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:15 pm

50% Kirkland (Costco) 7 YO (Beam? almost certainly) and 50% 12 YO Beam yields a 95 proof whiskey that would do quite nicely as an everyday pour. The 12 YO is, in my judgment, an older brother to the 8 YO Black, and the Kirkland is a younger brother to the 9 YO Knob Creek. This vatting takes the slight edge I find in the finish of the 103 proof 7 YO Kirkland and adds a bit of backbone to the 86 proof 12 YO Beam......... and it improves both to my palate. The Kirkland costs a bit under $20 for 1 liter, while the Beam 12 YO costs about $40 for 750 ml. Which makes this vatting about equivalent to a $28 (750 ml) bottle of whiskey. This would be a bit more than Old Grand Dad (from Beam) and a slightly softer bourbon........ but still full of rye spice.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby home00 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:52 am

There are so many developers working on this segment but this is one of the best innovative idea ever. Thanks for sharing it here.Another great example of innovation,
Thats all I are able to say. You most absolutely have built this blog website into something special. You clearly know what you are working on, youve insured so many corners. thanks

Feel free to visit my buy portfolio lighting site. Eventually i am come here and want to say you that thanks for sharing your concept regarding the post.
home00

Unread postby Bob Barker » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:31 pm

I have tried it and I was pretty disappointed. I think this was definitely a let down from Jim beam. It's not bad but for the price and age I expected more from the bourbon than just an average bourbon.
Bob Barker

Unread postby Squire » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:46 pm

Sometimes I think Beam designs these expressions for overseas markets.
Squire

Return to Bourbon, Straight