Was there a golden age of bourbon making?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Re: Was there a golden age of bourbon making?

Unread postby Mike » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:16 pm

393foureyedfox wrote:even though i refuse to spend over $50 for a 750 of anything, and am pretty frugal to begin with, I do agree that the best stuff i also find in the $35-50 range. sure, every now and then, i pick up a $11 bottle of HH BIB 6 year, and am content with it.....I never enjoy it the way I do a $40 bottle of KC120 or $45 bottle of bookers.

there are too many bourbons and whiskies out there to try them all, at least in the year that ive been into this. So, i dont mind that i limit the playing field to over 100 proof and under $50. there is PLENTY there to play with, and a good deal of it quite enjoyable. I make a point to pick up something new regularly, but overall, I think there are few that I consider good enough to continue to buy. I have a fairly narrow profile that suits me, and while i enjoy experimenting, I tend to only keep a few regulars around, which suits me fine. I dont want to be one of the guys who has 200 bottles of this and that open in his cabinet. a few regular favorites, and a few experimentals, and i am happy

Impeccable logic, against which there is no reasonable, emotion excepted, defense. My pleasure, believe it or not, as you wish, comes, not from having a large collection of bourbons from which to try, but in trying new bourbons and exploring their strengths and weakness against other bourbons about which I have some familiarity. It is true that I can afford such an enterprise, and if I could not, and were not of a different personality than you, 'fox, I would undoubtedly be in complete accord with your opinions.

Even so, I would recommend your approach even to someone to whom cost is never an object....... it makes the most sense. At its best, what I see as having on my side is a strange curiosity......... not a great recommendation by anyone's standards, I should think. I would envy you in the reasonableness of your approach, except that perversely, I don't, nor do I deny that it is perverse.

Stick to your guns, everything says you are right in your judgment, and that I am wrong. That I have ever gone agin the grain in matters great and small is not a credit to me, but a check mark agin common sense. I know this well, and still persist in my ways. It is thus.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby zoeyku » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:22 pm

It's a good time to be a bourbon drinker!
zoeyku

Unread postby Birdo » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:59 am

May be now is the golden age. Bourbon is growing in markets world wide, and I believe here in the US too. I read somewhere that production has more than doubled in the past 20 years, so that sounds like golden age fodder to me.

I have settled in on about 5 brands that I'm completely satisfied with, and am reluctant to stray from those as of late.
Birdo

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:06 am

Birdo wrote:
I have settled in on about 5 brands that I'm completely satisfied with, and am reluctant to stray from those as of late.

me too. as much as i enjoy grabbing something new to try, i am finding that i almost always prefer my few on-hand favorites over anything else, and am tempted to just keep to those alone. more often than not, i end up not really caring for much else
393foureyedfox

Unread postby RandyG » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:21 am

OK, this may have been well before our time, and slightly outside the scope of what Mike was really looking for but were'nt there over 2000 distilleries in the US before prohibition? If this is true, I would think that this may have been the true golden age of bourbon making.

RG
RandyG

Previous

Return to Bourbon, Straight