Was there a golden age of bourbon making?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Re: Was there a golden age of bourbon making?

Unread postby thomas15 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:10 pm

Bourbon Joe wrote:
thomas15 wrote:I'm not going to spend any more than $50.00 for a bottle of whiskey so what is there is there as far as I'm concerned.

Tom

Well Tom, you have boxed yourself in when it comes to fine whiskey. I once thought like you but today's 50 dollar bottle costs 80 dollars and going up. I'll spring for an expensive bourbon if it is exceptional. If you stick to your guns, you will drink good whiskey, just not the best whiskey.
Joe

Well Joe you do know how to put a different perspective on things. Perhaps I should modify my comments. I am by nature a thrifty individual however in the last few years I have started to enjoy some of the more quality aspects of life. I'm not going to suffer through a bottle of Bourbon that I hate and I'm not smoking a cigar that doesn't have most of the aspects of a quality smoke. So allow me to say it this way: If I were to buy a +$50.00 bottle of Bourbon, it would be:

1. On sale

2. a bottle that I know I'm going to enjoy drinking.

In other words I'm not taking any chances at that price point and I'm getting it at the lowest price possible.

To me part of the fun of drinking wine is finding a good bottle at a bargain price. For cigars, a good example is Garo Double Habano. Great cigar for about $1.25 ( I drive right past CI in Bethlehem PA on my way home from work). The cap is really easy to break so I use a punch and they have to age in the Humi for a few weeks but for that little bit of trouble you get a great smoking experience.

So I appreciate what you are saying. Thanks
Tom
Whiskey for Breakfast (in the key of Glock).
thomas15

Unread postby gillmang » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:23 pm

It's always a question of taste but I can genuinely say I don't enjoy expensive bottles more than so-called mid-shelf, and often the reverse is true. I will say that it is good to drink these (if one can) because it enlarges the range of things to taste. This is the "Lipman" theory of whiskey-tasting, which is that no one is best but it is good to try as broad a range as possible.

By the way in perusing online recently a collection of 1800's restaurant menus and wine lists, I saw reference to an "1864 Old Crow" on a Christmas menu from 1875. The menu was from a society hotel in Hot Springs, Arkansas. This bourbon was 11-12 years old. Of course over the years I have seen references in other 1800's sources to whiskey that was anywhere from one year to twenty with 8, 10, 12 being seen. So I don't claim old whiskey was unknown but I suspect it was introduced not just for perceived palate virtue but because it was seen as comparable to old brandy. Many of these old wine lists vaunted old Cognac and other brandy.

But those willing and able to pay for 12 year old Crow could be viewed as drinking the "best" whiskey, yes.

I will say my own taste still inclines to 6-8 with some exceptions over that (e.g. ORVW 10 and 12, and rye older than that which is different qualitatively IMO to old bourbon).

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby bourbonv » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:34 pm

Gary is correct - The Old Taylor I was talking about is still in the making and probably will not be bottled for another couple of years.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby Mike » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:23 pm

bourbonv wrote:Gary is correct - The Old Taylor I was talking about is still in the making and probably will not be bottled for another couple of years.

When the time comes, Mike, I will look (assuming I still kicking) for that Old Taylor. In the meanwhile, Gary, I will look for the Beam 12 YO. I like many Beam products, most especially I like the Single Barrel Knob Creek that I have had.......... rich in barrel flavors.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:57 pm

Mike wrote:
bourbonv wrote:I like many Beam products, most especially I like the Single Barrel Knob Creek that I have had.......... rich in barrel flavors.

that is one of my favorites, a VEEEERY close second to Booker's. every now and then i see it on sale for $32-35, and at that price, I have not found a single bourbon that can compete for flavor-to-price ratio as well as KCSB does. Its got a rich, thick, awesome cinnamony-woody taste that just isnt found in anything under $40, at least not that ive found.

i got 13 bottles of it in the spring at $18 a bottle, when the pharmacy was clearing the stock of it to discontinue, as it sold poorly in this end of town. now im down to 10.3 bottles. ack!
393foureyedfox

Unread postby jneyer05 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:16 pm

Great topic Mike. This gives me and newer bourbon enthusiasts an idea of the development of the bourbon culture today.

I see earlier posts about spending more than 50 for a bottle but in the last year or two I have opened the door to much better bourbons by spending the money for them (plus my wife lets me now). There are so many good ones out now that you have to be willing to spend for. Your missing out if you don't.
jneyer05

Unread postby gillmang » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:35 pm

Can you give some examples?

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby RandyG » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:42 am

I may be part of the minority here, but I generally do not find what I am looking for in a bourbon at the $20-25 level. The only exceptions I have found are Elijah Craig 12YO, Weller 12YO, Elmer T. Lee Single Barrel, and Evan Williams Single Barrel. For me, the bargains are at the $35-45 level and the top ones here are Wild Turkey Rare Breed and Kentucky Spirit, Rowan's Creek, and Rock Hill Farms. To many they will likely be deemed too expensive, and I hold no ill will towards anyone who thinks so. On the contrary, I appreciate their point of view and insight.

It should be noted that I do not have a pour on a daily basis. At the most I will sit down two or three times in a given week (counting the weekend) so relaxing with a good bourbon is more of a special occasion than a daily ritual. This may also contribute to my willingness to spend a little extra on the bottles I choose to keep on my shelf.

Cheers Friends,
RG
RandyG

Unread postby gillmang » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:04 pm

Well, just to take that list. With Rare Breed you are getting high proof - a value unto itself. (I.e., you are not really paying more). As to taste, some bottles have been excellent, some so-so.

The last bottle I bought of RHF had a dank earth smell, from the time a number of Buffalo Trace bourbons had this trait IMO. Money not well spent - to me. Today hopefully it would be much better.

Rowan's Creek I've found variable over the years and latter bottlings a little rough.

KS is okay but not superlative IMO again - so much depends on the bottle.

Whereas, the 4 good values mentioned - that's a lot of bourbon choice right there - are usually reliable. So are BT, Beam Black (for those who like the taste), OGD, 4R Yellow Label, and numerous others.

I don't knock anyone's taste but seek simply candidly to explain my own. I'm not tilting at windmills, but giving an honest opinion. (I'm not even sure I really think Jack SB is better than regular Jack - maybe but again, factor out the proof and you are not spending that much more..).

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby RandyG » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:16 am

I genuinely appreciate the input from everybody here on the forum, especially from the major contributors such as you Gary, the two Mikes, Joe, and our very own saint :angel7: . As many knowledgeable contributors here have said, each one of us has our own unique palate, and thus prefers certain bourbons over others. For many, price is a major contributor as well. I'm just thankful that there is such a vast assortment to choose from that it keeps everybody happy.

RG
RandyG

Unread postby gillmang » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:12 pm

Well put Randy, I agree completely.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:14 pm

even though i refuse to spend over $50 for a 750 of anything, and am pretty frugal to begin with, I do agree that the best stuff i also find in the $35-50 range. sure, every now and then, i pick up a $11 bottle of HH BIB 6 year, and am content with it.....I never enjoy it the way I do a $40 bottle of KC120 or $45 bottle of bookers.

there are too many bourbons and whiskies out there to try them all, at least in the year that ive been into this. So, i dont mind that i limit the playing field to over 100 proof and under $50. there is PLENTY there to play with, and a good deal of it quite enjoyable. I make a point to pick up something new regularly, but overall, I think there are few that I consider good enough to continue to buy. I have a fairly narrow profile that suits me, and while i enjoy experimenting, I tend to only keep a few regulars around, which suits me fine. I dont want to be one of the guys who has 200 bottles of this and that open in his cabinet. a few regular favorites, and a few experimentals, and i am happy
393foureyedfox

Unread postby gillmang » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:09 am

There really are tremendous values though, e.g. the $17.00 Triple A I bought in Bardstown last year was amazing for the money. I'd take that any day ahead of KC 120 or Bookers even though the latter are stronger. It just tastes better, IMO.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:55 am

AAA lacks sufficient proof
393foureyedfox

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:06 am

I agree with Gary.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

PreviousNext

Return to Bourbon, Straight