What bourbon is in your cabinet?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Re: What bourbon is in your cabinet?

Unread postby Squire » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:34 pm

Yes, Mr. Elmer did and a number of his contemporaries as well. Booker Noe liked his Bourbon barrel proof and unfiltered but he drank it in a tall glass filled with ice and water. Even Pappy drank his over ice with water and a slice of orange.

Sometimes I think we make a bit too much of drinking whisky straight, especially the high proof expressions.
Squire

Unread postby crappie_fisherman » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:35 pm

IMO...there's nothing wrong with mixing good liquor (be it bourbon, scotch, etc) with ice and/or water...and as Squire points out especially with the higher proof varieties.

However if someone wants ginger ale or coke with bourbon then why pour a liquor that spent a decade plus in a rick house to get to the smoothness and flavor profile only to disguise it with carbonated flavored high fructose corn syrup?...it seems to be doing the master distiller and the liquor a major injustice...a much cheaper alternative would be Ten High, Kesslers, Jim Beam White, Evan Williams/Jack D Black Label for that purpose since all you will be getting is alcohol and soda...that's all.

If others have no issue with pouring a $50 or more bottle and mixing it...that's their hooch to share...

For me...my only point is that if someone wants a rum and coke...they're not getting my Zacapa 23yr or Bacardi Reserve 12yr...nor are they getting a Four Roses 125th Anniversary and Coke...sorry...the flavor profiles of these fine liquors deserves to be enjoyed neat or with some ice and water (IMO)...

I've got an EH Taylor Barrel Strength at 135+ proof and an Angels Envy Cask Strength at 123 proof...both of these need water to open them up as well as make them more enjoyable to drink and enjoy the flavors...again IMHO...
crappie_fisherman

Unread postby thomas15 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:03 am

I think the most expensive bottle in my collection costs about $49.00

If I went out and bought a $100.00 bottle each shot would cost me $4.00 So, if my guest wanted to mix $4.00 worth of whiskey with 5 cents of coke then so be it. If I had 10 people over at one time, all drinking massive amounts of bourbon, I probably would put away that $100.00 bottle. I think this is one of the reasons why I only have about 4 bottles opened at one time.

Figure 25 shots per 750 mL of bourbon and that get together can cost over $100.00 just for the bourbon. It might be awkward as a host but if I were a guest at someones house and they guarded their best because of the sheer number of guests, I would not be offended. But then again, even if the host said to help myself, I personally wouldn't consume more than one serving of his best and would make sure that he knew that I appreciated the value of the brew.
Whiskey for Breakfast (in the key of Glock).
thomas15

Unread postby crappie_fisherman » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:14 am

Cost really is a very small portion of the equation (at least for me)...I use cost in my examples as it is the easiest to grasp from a concept...but FLAVOR of the bourbon, vodka, Canadian Whisky, etc is the real point...

My point is really mixers (coke, gingerale or whatever) will DOMINATE the taste...and it really doesn't matter if there is a $4 or $0.50 shot in the drink at that point...all you will taste is the flavored high fructose corn syrup and some form of alcohol.

IMO...ANY style mixed drink should be served with cheap hooch...even a vodka tonic would be well served with Dark Eyes Vodka and I'd challenge ANYONE to tell me which one had Dark Eyes versus Grey Goose in the drink...the tonic and lime would DOMINATE the drink.

Now a Vodka martini without vermouth...or just a splash of vermouth...someone may be able to tell Dark Eyes from Grey Goose...but I will guarantee you that if the Vodka is cold and there is a splash or more of ANYTHING in the martin...Smirnoff would be just fine and undetectable in a blind taste test...especially when you start getting into Cosmo's or the like with LOTS of added flavors to the tini...

The point is that the bourbon in the bottle that has been aged 10+ years...should be enjoyed for ITS flavor profile and not coke/gingerale/whatever...

While water and/or ice will somewhat dilute the stuff...that's what the distillers do anyway when they bottle it to bring it to bottle proof versus barrel proof...unless it is bottled at barrel proof that is...

So if you KNOW you are going to have guests that WANT mixed drinks...why not simply spend $25 or less on a 1.75L bottle of Jim Beam White Label versus $50 on a 750ml of something else?

Final point...most all of my friends and family KNOW what the bourbon is BEFORE they come over...and most all of my bourbons are not just sitting out on the bar next to Jim and Jack for someone to mix drinks with blindly...we've talked about the flavors of bourbons and they know that the bourbons are truly a drink unto themselves and need no mixers...so I'd highly doubt I'd EVER run into a situation where one of my guests would even ask to mix a $150 bottle of AE Cask with coke or my PVW20 with gingerale...so I think we're talking hypotheticals here...at least when it comes to my friends and guests...

We're way off topic...sorry.

Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and here's too a Blessed 2014...we'll be ringing it in at our house with ~50 friends as always...and I'll guarantee you no one will ask to mix my Pappy's...LOL...Cheers!
crappie_fisherman

Unread postby Grawlix » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:00 pm

I am thinking that "what bourbon ISN'T in your cabinet?" might be a better question for me...at least that's what my wife says ;)

But here goes: one bottle of Wild Turkey Rare Breed. Two bottles of Bookers. One 1.75 of Four Roses Yellow Label (undervalued, IMHO). A bottle of Wild Turkey 101 (not as good as the Rare Breed, but certainly not bad). One bottle of Four Roses Single Barrel. One bottle of E.H. Taylor (good, but overpriced). A few bottles of Weller 12 y.o.

These might not count, but they are like nectar: a few bottle of Buffalo Trace's White Dog No. 1.
Grawlix

Unread postby HOF44 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:19 pm

Ok here is the bunker of the good stuff, have some lower end I didn't add.

Stagg
2013 4
2012 4
2010 3
2009 3
2008 2
2006 1
2005 lot b 1
2004 1

WLW
2013 4
2012 2
2011 3
2010 2

Er17 3

PVW 20 4

Jeff 17 1
Jeff 18 4
Jeff 21 7

Stagg Jr 6

The Knot 1
HOF44

Unread postby bjalberts » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:09 am

My bourbon collection is always a work in progress, but here's where it stands as of now:

Weller 12
Elijah Craig 21
Jefferson's Presidential Select 25
ORVW 10
Van Winkle 12yr Lot B
Belle Meade
George T. Stagg
Stagg Jr.
Angel's Envy Cask Strengh
E.H. Taylor Barrel Proof
Blanton's
Basil Hayden's
Bulliet 10
Michters 10
Black Maple Hill
Old Forester Birthday Bourbon '04
bjalberts

Unread postby BarrelAged » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:19 am

I don't have any unopened, but here's what I have:
EW Black
Four Roses Yellow
Four Roses OESK single barrel
Old Fitzgerald BIB
Very Old Barton BIB
Knob Creek
Jim Beam
Seagram's 7 (for mixers)
BarrelAged

Unread postby Agalloch » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:58 pm

Elijah Craig small batch and Old Wheller special reserve for bourbon. Also have some Dickel no.12 and Old Overholt
Agalloch

Unread postby VaderTime » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:46 am

I recently moved and had to do some vatting to accommodate the fact (I'm not crying about it either, most of the vats are pretty good):

1. WT 101 8 year from 2003
2. A few 200ml bottles of WT Old #8/86 from 93/94
3. MM
4. Knob Creek that I just can't seem to dent
5. JB Black
6. 4 Roses Yellow Liter vatted with SmBa- pretty good drinker actually
7. Kentucky Gentleman Export 4 year Bourbon- not too shabby by itself, but vatted with an unknown bourbon and a bit of 97 WT Old #8/86 even better
8. BT with an unknown bourbon vatted (possibly Export Early Times Brown)- also a great drinker.
9. A liter of Jameson standard vatted with the one that is one step up. Also another bottle I just can't dent- not for the same reason as KC, it is just too sweet for my tastes these days while KC is just too harsh w/o a good payoff IMO.

Cheers!
VaderTime

Unread postby VaderTime » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:57 am

I happened upon a bottle of 4RSmB last night, possibly the last bottle for sale in the small island nation state I reside. Of course I had to say yes.

Cheers
VaderTime

Unread postby costadelrica » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:40 am

I've just got in 6 bottles of Black Maple Hill and thinking about picking up one of those. not an idea?! Haven't seen it in 6 months....very hard to come by. :)
costadelrica

Unread postby Alexvlad » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:25 am

These are some of the bourbons I have right now
Black Maple Hill
Jim Beam 12 YO
1792 Ridgemont
Alexvlad

Unread postby Squire » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:54 am

I have lots of Old Grand Dad, lots.
Squire

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:14 pm

Squire wrote:I have lots of Old Grand Dad, lots.

out of curiousity, what do you define as 'lots', squire?
393foureyedfox

PreviousNext

Return to Bourbon, Straight