I had forgotten how much I like Knob Creek.

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

I had forgotten how much I like Knob Creek.

Unread postby Landrum » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:43 pm

I had not tasted Knob Creek in several years so today I decided to pick up a small bottle on the way home from the gym. Now, I'm the kind of person who likes big taste. I eat salsa and pico de gallo with just about every meal. I love rich foods and drinks of all kinds. I don't indulge too much because I like to stay in shape but a little goes a long way when it comes to richness and spices in food. In fact, spices can be a dieter's best friend.....but I digress.

Back to the bourbon. I picked up a 375ml bottle and had a nip before I cooked supper. Yep, I still like it a lot. And yes, it still brings a lot of taste to the table. This bottle seemed to lack something since I tasted it last but the change could very well be me instead of the brown juice in the bottle. Anyway, I enjoyed it thoroughly and will not go so long again in between purchases.

A quick note. Even though I love bold flavors, subtlety in spirits can be very intriguing as well. A while back I was tasting a very delicate, dry sherry that was rewarding in its own way. Poor sherry, the drink that no one pays attention to anymore! You and your pal Port. Oh well, demand is low so I don't have to pay a lot to enjoy you guys! Anyway, this particular sherry was anything but bold but the flavors were there and definite! Conversely, I had a bottle of Slane Castle Irish Whiskey that tasted like cardboard. Seriously, alcohol and cardboard. Taste is so subjective but there was a complete lack of taste in that bottle of Irish. Give me the bold flavors every time if that's all you can bring to the table. I mean, if the only point to drinking was to get drunk we'd be congregating at the VodkaEnthusiasts web site. Give me subtlety and finesse if you must but you had better be interesting and layered/complex. Whatever you do, don't give me "smooth". Ugh.
Landrum

Re: I had forgotten how much I like Knob Creek.

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:53 am

now go try the KC reserve at 120 proof.........
393foureyedfox

Unread postby Landrum » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:26 am

Sounds good and I will give it a try after I have worked on a few of these opened bottles.

Do you have an opinion on the Knob Creek Rye?
Landrum

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:08 pm

havent tried it. ill wait til i see it at a bar and order a shot first.
393foureyedfox

Unread postby JLH3 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:50 pm

I just bought a bottle of "Bevmo Barrell Select" KCSB. Looking forward to trying it tonight.
Between the wish and the thing the world lies waiting.
- Cormac McCarthy, All the Pretty Horses

"Your hair was darker then."
- Grant
"My heart was lighter then."
- Rico
The Professionals
JLH3

Unread postby Wasatch » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:02 pm

KC is very good stuff, we just got the Rye version in, might have to give it a try also.
Cheers!
Wasatch

Unread postby bunghole » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:46 pm

To me a 375ml is just a nip. I love the stuff. I like the original small batch better than the single barrel. Did I tell ya I love the stuff? :lol:
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
bunghole

Unread postby Squire » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:37 pm

I prefer the Small Batch as well, sometimes a Single Barrel makes me feel I've just eaten one thing on the plate.
Squire

Unread postby RandyG » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:27 am

I definately prefer the 120. Just had some this weekend.

RG
RandyG

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:00 pm

my first into to KC was at a blind tasting. i picked it out as my favorite of the 7 in the tasting. and since i like high proof bourbons, i figured that if i liked regular KC id probably love KC120. i was right. by now though, i dont remember the regular too well. and since i loaded up on the 120 at a half price closeout, im set on that for several years.
393foureyedfox

Unread postby Bob Barker » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:02 pm

Am i the only one that just finds knob creek run of the mill average bourbon? I have wanted to like it but i just don't find anything special about it. I have a bottle of the 120 right now that i am hoping will improve with a little oxidation, but i am afraid maybe knob creek just isn't my cup of tea. I sometimes get self conscious when everyone says they like something and then i don't like it.
Bob Barker

Unread postby devilscut » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:20 am

Don't feel bad Bob. I absolutely do not like Knob Creek. It's just high proof Jim Beam.
devilscut

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:21 pm

everyone has their own taste peculiarities. nothing wrong with disliking or loving one particular brand.

hell, im the one guy who does NOT like 4RSB
393foureyedfox

Unread postby Squire » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:21 pm

In respect to age and proof Knob Creek is what Beam used to be.
Squire

Unread postby EllenJ » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:00 pm

Squire wrote:In respect to age and proof Knob Creek is what Beam used to be.

WTF!? I'm not sure what "Beam" you're referring to here. Regular white-label Jim Beam was always four years old and 80 proof (it might have been 86 at one time, but that would have been VERY long ago).

As to age and proof, Knob Creek (the regular bottling) has never NOT been been 100 proof and nine years old, a factor so viciously adhered to that the company once notified their distributors, during a time of overselleing, that they would allow the stock to run out completely rather than back off on the bottling age. And they meant it; when the stock ran out they didn't ship any more. That's not what most companies do, and while it might have been given a cute marketing spin, it made a somewhat risky impression on the major distributors. Basically Fred Noe & Co. said to them, "take it or leave it, boys; this is our whiskey and we'll let ya know when we've got more to sell."

I made a comment recently on Chuck Cowdery's blog about how Fred Noe's credibility has grown, and Knob Creek is a REAL good example, since Fred has chosen to identify his persona with that brand more than most. Knob Creek Single Barrel, at barrel proof AND nine years old, is arguably a better bourbon than 8-year-old barrel-strength Booker's, and for all the same reasons that Fred Noe may be a better brand ambassador for Jim Beam than was his iconic father.

Sorry Squire, but other than the basic white dog from which both brands are produced, there is practically no simularity all between Jim Beam (white) and Knob Creek. Especially in respect to age and proof.
=JOHN=
(the "Jaye" part of "L 'n' J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
EllenJ

Next

Return to Bourbon, Straight