Makers vs Larceny vs Weller Antique 107 vs Weller SR

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Makers vs Larceny vs Weller Antique 107 vs Weller SR

Unread postby Birdo » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:17 pm

Maker's Mark: I use to like this better than I do now. It has an alcohol finish and flavor isn't so good. Pricey and best suited for mixing. Will give to company next week.

Larceny: Smooth and not too complicated with a nice thick finish. Typical Heaven Hill stuff. I like it fine, and is a decent value in the 1.75 liter bottle, but the 750ml is a few buck too much. Solid mid-grade bourbon. HH proofs this one at 92 which is 2 proof higher than makers.....Fighting cock is 103 proof wihch is 2 proof higher than Wild Turkey 101, I'm sensing a trend....probably over analyzing.

Weller Antique 107: Smooth and surprising light considering the 107 proof. Nice complex pallete, finish could be longer. Cheaper than Makers, and Larcency and at such a high proof make this the best deal, and maybe the best of the three. A tight-wad like me always considers proof when comparing costs, I like less water in my bourbon.

Weller SR Special Reserve: Easy to drink summer bourbon, could have more flavor, but does nothing wrong. It would nice in lemonade. 90 proofer for a very reasonable price.
Birdo

Re: Makers vs Larceny vs Weller Antique 107 vs Weller SR

Unread postby Mike » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:11 pm

If there were a 'like' option for this post, I would mash (I am from the South) it. Methinks, Birdo, is honest, straightforward, knows what he likes, and knows a lot about bourbon.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby bunghole » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:41 pm

I like them all. Larceny being my favorite of the bunch. Their facebook page states that the wheat content in the mashbill has been increased.
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
bunghole

Unread postby Squire » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:19 pm

Presumably that means a reduction in the percentage of corn.
Squire

Unread postby Birdo » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:11 am

bunghole wrote:I like them all. Larceny being my favorite of the bunch. Their facebook page states that the wheat content in the mashbill has been increased.

Seems like an odd thing to say since a recipe change won't be noticed until 6 years of aging, and probably not then due to blending.
Birdo

Unread postby Squire » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:11 pm

Of course they would have had to make that change back when the whisky was distilled but other than a slight marketing edge I don't see much point.
Squire

Unread postby jaycamm » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:05 pm

Makers 46 is a marked improvement over the original but is overpriced by 10 bucks. I was disappointed by the Larceny. After how great the Parker's Wheated was I was kind of let down. It tastes to me like Old Fitz 1849 in a new bottle.
one whiskey for every ghost
jaycamm

Unread postby Birdo » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:28 am

jaycamm wrote:Makers 46 is a marked improvement over the original but is overpriced by 10 bucks. I was disappointed by the Larceny. After how great the Parker's Wheated was I was kind of let down. It tastes to me like Old Fitz 1849 in a new bottle.

Cheers! We think alike. I like Larceny pretty well, but it is probably just repackaged Old Fitz as you contend. I like it fine, but we can do better. I have taken to mixing it 50/50 with 100 proof young rye based bourbons such as wild turkey, and this makes a nice mixed drink, I'll have a bourbon and bourbon on the rocks please! Thanks for the tip Gilmag.
Birdo

Unread postby Squire » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:30 pm

Well, they can't just call it new & improved and change the colors on the box.
Squire

Unread postby jneyer05 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:04 pm

I agree. I used to like Makers a lot better but now I will only use it for mixing. I do like a well made Maker's Manhattan though.

I saw the Larceny at HH Distillery but I was kind of thrown off by the name. I bought a mini bottle I am wanting to try soon. I am interested in trying the other Wellers. I enjoy the Weller 12 but its a little boring for me as well. I hope the Antique or SR are better.
jneyer05

Unread postby cupidsrose » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:30 pm

Hi, everybody, I am a new friend. :)
cupidsrose

Return to Bourbon, Straight