A short tribute to the folks who play at BourbonEnthusiast

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

A short tribute to the folks who play at BourbonEnthusiast

Unread postby Mike » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:20 pm

I have been a member of BourbonEnthusiast for just over 8 years, shortly after it was founded. When I joined, I was a bourbon novice, with more knowledge of Scotch than bourbon, and not much of Scotch. I had more opinions than I had any right to, and still do of course, but I was welcomed anyway by many of the same people whose posts you see here now.

At one time, we had a few knowledgeable ladies in attendance, but they are very rare now. I do not really understand that, unless, being a male, I am blind to any reasons why they would not find a home here. Let me say upfront, and with no doubt, that our members would welcome their presence. And the same is true for foreign visitors. Gary Gillman is as 'American' as every other Canadian and a member of great value to this site.

A few of our early members only post very occasionally for various reasons, but they played a very important role in the founding of this site. In particular I mean Mike Veach, a very important historian of bourbon in all its aspects, and a gentleman of the first order. We miss his posts and his reviews, always balanced, always acute.

And our own 'bunghole', who, under the power granted me by no one, became a 'saint'. It has been said, correctly, I believe, that a man who has no enemies has no character. Bunghole has character in spades. The reason he is a 'saint' is that he is who he is and is truly much more kindhearted than he would want you to know. His poor health has limited his ability to participate here as he once did.

Others who are still active and vital to our site include the following:

John Lipman loves bourbon, knows a great deal about bourbon, is a character in his own right, is always entertaining, and is a downright good human, who, when he is in the wrong, owns up to it (as I would hope is true of me also).

Bourbon Joe, another of our long term members, is a man of few words (unlike me), but his words always cut to the heart of the matter. He, like all the others is a first rate fellow.

There are many others who add a great deal to this site with their knowledge, wisdom, and good humor. That I do not mention all is because the list would grow quite long.

Also, we have had many fine people who have come and gone, and are not likely to come back. And, they are missed. But we have young blood coming in, who get to hear the age old BE stories, including a bit of bullshit, and don't seem to mind too much.

It is a good collection of folks who come here. In the midst of the great politization of our country, this is a refuge from that din, and that is another tribute to the who choose to play in our pen.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Re: A short tribute to the folks who play at BourbonEnthusia

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:26 pm

now im just pissed that you didnt mention me......... :cry:

i too have learned a lot as well, yet have met no one as of yet. perhaps in september in bardstown I can meet a few of you.

doug
393foureyedfox

Unread postby gillmang » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:06 pm

Thanks Mike, a typically Georgia Mike-style missive!

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:04 pm

Thanks Mike. I am humbled by your kind words.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby EllenJ » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:45 pm

Shame on you!!
You left out Barleycorn, the only one of us with any sense of decency or honor.
=JOHN=
(the "Jaye" part of "L 'n' J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
EllenJ

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:44 am

Thank you Mike. You should also consider yourselves to equal honors Your visits with Mr. Clemons and the occasional highjacking of a post by Barleycorn are works of great entertainment that also contain a vast storeroom of knowledge. I don't post as often as I used to for various reasons - a busy work schedule amongst other more trivial reasons, but I do try to keep up with the posts.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Return to Bourbon, Straight