Can cheap make moderate better?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Re: Can cheap make moderate better?

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:12 pm

Birdo wrote:
How is the EZRA? Haven't had that one yet. I'll bet its a HH label.

it wasnt bad, but once again, not something i plan to get again. i am a bit odd, i guess, in my bourbon/whiskey tastes.....theres not much i can say i "like". most things i just describe as 'not bad', but then add them to the mental list of things i dont really have any intention of buying again. i try something new every month or so, and have lots of shots out of each bottle, and then decide after the bottle is gone (after 15-20 tastings), whether i like it enough to buy it again, or move onto something else, to which i ascribe the ezra 7/101. it was quite similar to any HH bond but with the slightest taste difference i can not define in words. not bad, but since my 'not bad' category also includes HH white BIB at almost half the price, you can bet another ezra isnt likely to come home anytime soon.

but thats just MY opinion. to date, ive only found two i care to keep buying. KC 120 and OGD 114.

picked up a 200mL of WT101 on the way to the family reunion. i wanted a small portable bottle that'd fit in my pocket and id not tried WT101 before, only the Rare Breed. again, not bad, but not enough 'bite'....seemed too smooth for 101 proof to me, and i can generally say i do not like 'smooth'....i like the punch in the mouth of higher proof things, and i think its starting to be things a bit heavier in the rye category too.

ive got lots to learn still, but all i can say is i like what i like.......as all any of us can say
393foureyedfox

Re: Can cheap make moderate better?

Unread postby Squire » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:44 pm

I believe some very good whisky can be made in the U.S. by aging exclusively in used barrels. It wouldn't be Bourbon but it wouldn't be trying to be. It would certainly be an improvement over a GNS based blend.
Squire

Previous

Return to Bourbon, Straight