An opinion that should be contested.

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Re: An opinion that should be contested.

Unread postby GBrough » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:10 am

For me it is rye heavy whiskey, i found MM to have a funny aftertaste to it and a terrible body with a worse finish. This view makes some sense seeing that my first bourbon was bulliet.
“A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
GBrough

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:01 am

I do not like young rye whiskey and that includes ALL the rye white dog. I also have little use for bourbon that is less than 6 years old (there are a few exceptions). But that's my take in general.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby GBrough » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:53 pm

I do not drink bourbon under 6 years, WT101 is a blend of multiple age's but they go between 6-8 years. But the bourbon must have a rye punch or some strong spice notes. If i had to pick my least favourite rye heavy whiskey it would be Angel's Envy but i am giving it another chance now that i have gotten to experience and give Woodford Reserve a chance.
“A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
GBrough

Unread postby Squire » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:09 pm

I don't drink Bourbon under 6 years of age unless it's on sale or someone else is offering.
Squire

Unread postby Mike » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:41 pm

GBrough wrote:I do not drink bourbon under 6 years, WT101 is a blend of multiple age's but they go between 6-8 years. But the bourbon must have a rye punch or some strong spice notes. If i had to pick my least favourite rye heavy whiskey it would be Angel's Envy but i am giving it another chance now that i have gotten to experience and give Woodford Reserve a chance.

I had not thought of Angel's Envy as a high rye whiskey, but you are right, it certainly is. The Port does, in my opinion, an excellent job of moderating the rye spice. But then, I tend to like high rye bourbon as well as most other bourbons. In general, I do not look for bad bourbons, the ones that give me pause are the ones which have a bit of a raw edge, which usually shows up in the back of the mouth or in the finish (in my experience), these are, as a rule, the youngest ones.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby GBrough » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:54 am

If Angel's Envy was 94 proof or so i would love it, but seeing that it is 80ish proof i feel it lacks in the mouthfeel and fades to quickly.
GBrough

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:38 pm

GBrough wrote:If Angel's Envy was 94 proof or so i would love it, but seeing that it is 80ish proof i feel it lacks in the mouthfeel and fades to quickly.

we must be related........we could write each others' posts sometimes
393foureyedfox

Unread postby GBrough » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:07 am

393foureyedfox wrote:
GBrough wrote:If Angel's Envy was 94 proof or so i would love it, but seeing that it is 80ish proof i feel it lacks in the mouthfeel and fades to quickly.

we must be related........we could write each others' posts sometimes

One of the greatest things i have read in a while, i just find it hard to enjoy low proof bourbon i finally had jim beam black and while it was good i found it lacking in the kick department, and i also found it to sweet.
GBrough

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:22 pm

i kinda like sweet, but it HAS to have a high kick. best example i have had, so far, of a great kick in the mouth, is Booker's. you can feel that stuff in your teeth.
393foureyedfox

Unread postby GBrough » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:18 pm

393foureyedfox wrote:i kinda like sweet, but it HAS to have a high kick. best example i have had, so far, of a great kick in the mouth, is Booker's. you can feel that stuff in your teeth.

Bookers is on my list to try, I hope to get it before I go to mt.shasta for a week.
GBrough

Previous

Return to Bourbon, Straight