Whats wrong with Devil's Cut and Larceny?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Whats wrong with Devil's Cut and Larceny?

Unread postby Mike » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:56 pm

Why, nothing is wrong with them!
What's right about them?
Why, not enough.
Both hit the target they aim at...... mediocrity, or if you prefer just above mediocrity.
Of the two, Larceny is the inferior.
Too young for the bottle, edge is too sharp.

Mere opinions, me lads and lassies, mere opinions.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Re: Whats wrong with Devil's Cut and Larceny?

Unread postby gillmang » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:36 pm

Mike, blend them, 3:1 Larceny to Devil's Cut, and all consternation and tarnation will vanish. (That was vanish, not varnish).

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby Birdo » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:26 pm

I have had better for le$$. They both drink. Gilmag might be right, mixing the 2 might be better than the sum of the parts.

If that doesn't work, save it for company and dump it in coke.

I do think Larceny is better than Makers but that's not saying alot.
Birdo

Unread postby Squire » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:33 am

I will cheerfully drink either one if they're free.
Squire

Unread postby PaulO » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:51 am

What's right about Larceny is that HH finally seems to be trying to do something with the Old Fitz brand. I really think it's a big improvement over their other standard wheated bourbons. I'm glad I picked up a bottle when I had the chance. Dare I even sat it; is HH trying to make something similar to the DSP 16 juice from back in the day? I call it a step in the right direction. On the other hand, we have Devil's Cut. I've never tried it. I'm not a Beam "hater", but some of their stuff I just don't care for. When I found out Devil's Cut was basically a permutation of regular JB; I decided to pass. I do like OGD, and KC SB, and can tolerate JB black; most of their other stuff not so much.
PaulO

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:00 am

PaulO wrote:What's right about Larceny is that HH finally seems to be trying to do something with the Old Fitz brand. I really think it's a big improvement over their other standard wheated bourbons. I'm glad I picked up a bottle when I had the chance. Dare I even sat it; is HH trying to make something similar to the DSP 16 juice from back in the day? I call it a step in the right direction. On the other hand, we have Devil's Cut. I've never tried it. I'm not a Beam "hater", but some of their stuff I just don't care for. When I found out Devil's Cut was basically a permutation of regular JB; I decided to pass. I do like OGD, and KC SB, and can tolerate JB black; most of their other stuff not so much.

I kind of agree with your take on this subject.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby Bob Barker » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:06 pm

That's most of the time unfortunately what we get with the ~$20 bottles just mediocrity. DC and larceny are both okay but neither shines. Devils cut is my pick if I had to, but I won't pick them if there are better $20 options like Eagle rare or heck ancient age and Evan Williams are better in my humble opinion.
Bob Barker

Unread postby Mike » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:54 pm

gillmang wrote:Mike, blend them, 3:1 Larceny to Devil's Cut, and all consternation and tarnation will vanish. (That was vanish, not varnish).

Gary

I tried your vatting, Gary, and found it to be better than either of the constituents. This is a very interesting vatting because in my experience, two, shall we be charitable here, 'good' bourbons rarely improve each other. In this case, I think the youngish edge of the wheated Larceny gives way to the oakiness of the Devil's Cut, also, the Devil's Cut spice gives a bit more structure to the Larceny. A very good marriage.

Excellent vatting, Gary! I may get another bottle of Larceny so that I can make good use of the 2/3 of a bottle of Devil's Cut
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby JPBoston » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:45 am

Hrmm... I quite enjoy the Larceny at the $20 price point. But I get your complaint that it's a bit young. Though on the 'edge is too sharp' front, I get more mellow and easy drinking, and if I were to put a negative spin on it; thin. Sharp didn't enter my equation for some reason. Blows MM out of the water (imho), and offers a different take on the wheater at the same price as OWA/WSR.

Devil's Cut -- I just haven't had an interest in trying. The name is just so gimmicky, and the reviews are so mediocre to negative, that it hasn't crossed my purchasing radar. Like Paul, I'm not a Beam Hater... OGD 100/114 and KC 100/120 are a few of my favorites, so I have no games to play on the brand-disloyalty front.

I look forward to getting a bottle of Fitz Bonded in the near future to compare it with Larceny. My memories of Fitz BiB are simply a more intense version of Larceny, at a lower price.... it'll be interesting to see if my memory is as sharp as I hope it is. ;)
JPBoston

Unread postby gillmang » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:34 am

Thanks Mike, it was just a projection based on knowing the profiles. I have the brands and will try it myself soon.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby corpse_welder » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:59 am

Hey guys, I joined to mention that I was at target and came across Larceny for $7. I was sure this was an error but it rang up as so, so I grabbed 2 bottles. I had tried it before but I didn't think it was worth the $25 asked. It's certainly a great $7 whiskey however. I prefer the Devil's Cut though, and it's grown to be one of my favorite easy-drinking bourbons, as well as being an excellent mixer. I understand $25 is pricey though, I found it for $15 so that may help my opinion toward the positive
corpse_welder

Unread postby Eggman » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:23 am

Howdy,

I'm a Jim Beam guy. I enjoy black label and find white label tolerable, but only with diet Coke. OK, I tried Devil's Cut a year ago and found that it was awful stuff; might as well save the money and get white label. YMMV and MHO. If I could afford it, I'd much prefer Baker's, but that's another thread..
Eggman

Unread postby PollardsVision » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:32 am

I kind of liked Devil's Cut. If it was $15-17 a bottle, I'd buy it.
PollardsVision

Unread postby Squire » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:39 pm

Can't say there's actually anything wrong with Devil's Cut, other than the name, flavor, price and overall gimmickry approach it seems to be acceptable.
Squire

Unread postby jneyer05 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:00 pm

I have been trying for quite sometime to find a good wheat bourbon. Makers isn't enough and Makers 46 seems to woody to call it a wheat (which I do very much enjoy though). So far I like the Weller 107 the best but Larceny was a very close 2nd. I am just surprised at the disappointment in it. I thought it was fairly good with having had only 1 glass of it.

Anyone have any other suggestions to wheats?
jneyer05

Next

Return to Bourbon, Straight