Im leaving Kentucky, need some reccommendations

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Im leaving Kentucky, need some reccommendations

Unread postby cas560 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:54 pm

Hi all,

Ive been living in Louisville for the last year working a temp job, and now I am relocating. Im a relative newbie when it comes to bourbon but Ive had my fair share this year (probably too much, but that's another topic). Im moving to Pennsylvania to start another job and I want to take bourbon with me. Pennsylvania has state liquor stores and most carry the usual suspects (Knob Creek, Bookers, Bakers, Four Roses etc). Im looking to buy stuff that you cant get easily outside of Kentucky. Maybe some barrel strength or special edition. Im starting a bucket list of affordable bourbons (~60$ and under). So far I have...

1. Rowans creek
2. Noah's Mill
3. EH Taylor small batch
4. Four roses Barrel Strength (2013)
5. Johnny Drum
6. Jefferson's Presidential
7. Willet pot still
8. Elijah Craig 20
9. Stagg (if I can find it)

Wont attempt to spend time chasing down any Van Winkles.

Thx.
cas560

Re: Im leaving Kentucky, need some reccommendations

Unread postby EllenJ » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:05 pm

How far will you be from New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, or New York?
And have you given any thought to reinforcing the springs on your car? :wink:

Pennsylvania's state-owned liquor stores are world-renowned for their lack of selection, although some stores are much better than others. You can get a list of which state stores carry the less common brands, either online or at any of the liquor stores. You can also get nearly any brand made in America if you order a case of it (or at least you could; I've heard that's no longer correct). The biggest bummer is that few, if any, legitimate internet shippers will deliver to Pennsylvania (but that's true of Kentucky, too).

Get to know the manager of your local state store and you can often get stuff not normally carried at that store. Remember that, unlike so-called "free enterprise" liquor stores, they're not in competition with one another. If your manager's buddy in another part of the state has a bottle of Booker's or Rowan's Creek, s/he might be able to get one transferred over for you. It never hurts to ask.
=JOHN=
(the "Jaye" part of "L 'n' J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
EllenJ

Re: Im leaving Kentucky, need some reccommendations

Unread postby Birdo » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:09 am

If it were me, I would skip the fancy stuff and get a couple of cases of Fighting Cock at $176/per. But seriously, the way you are doing could turn out bad. You might get a couple bottles you like really well, and then it will be gone. Additionally, you could get stuck with expensive bottles of bourbon you don't really like. That's why I recommend reasonable quanitity over perceived quality.

They have "beer distributors' where you can buy cases of beer in PA. Beer is a good deal in PA, liquor, not so much do to state run booze stores. If you want a 6 pack of beer, you pay a premium for take out at a bar, no sixers in grocery stores or convenience stores. I suggest Yeungling Lager, a PA beer for around $20/case.

When I lived in PA, I got my liquor from Canada duty free, and I wasn't too picky. I was mostly a beer guy then.
Birdo

Return to Bourbon, Straight