Woodford Reseve Double Oaked

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Woodford Reseve Double Oaked

Unread postby Bob Barker » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:51 pm

Has anyone tried the Woodford Reserve Double Oaked? I have been wanting to pick up a bottle because I love the distillers select, but the $50~ price tag makes me want to get some opinions on it. Does anyone have any opinions and/or reviews on the Double Oaked?
Bob Barker

Re: Woodford Reseve Double Oaked

Unread postby Bob Barker » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:12 pm

I got to try the Doubke Oaked myself over the weekend and I am a huge fan. I definitely want to know others opinions on this still but I find it great!
Bob Barker

Unread postby Wasatch » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:44 pm

I've seen it, but have not gotten a chance to try it out yet.
Cheers!
Wasatch

Unread postby jneyer05 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:11 pm

I tried a glass at WW Distillery and I have to say I bought a bottle right away. It is a very good bourbon I believe worth the price tag. I have yet to open my bottle though since I am waiting for a special engagement. I am excited to start drinking it though and it is hard not to open it too early.
jneyer05

Unread postby RandyG » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:07 am

I've only heard good things about it and look forward to getting me a bottle soon.

RG
RandyG

Unread postby Wasatch » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:15 am

It is very nice, alittle bit spicy/hotter than the Reserve, lots of character though.
Cheers!
Wasatch

Unread postby Mike » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:53 pm

I am about 3/4 of the way through my bottle. I WILL buy another bottle. I think it is an excellent whiskey and bears the distinct imprimatur of Chris Morris and the Brown Foreman distillery. It has the dry metallic character that the Old Forester Birthday Bourbons have (which I find appealing). It also has the tannins to control the sweetness and lengthen the finish. The tannins (long have I argued this in their favor) in the correct proportions, add a subtlety to bourbon that nothing else does (why do you think Van Winkle bourbons are renowned?). It is the equal to the 2008 Birthday Bourbon (a benchmark bourbon to me), and far superior, in my opinion, to regular WR. I have never been a great fan of regular WR. It is a very good bourbon, but lacks the subtlety and complex finish of the Double Oaked.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby Bob Barker » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:35 pm

Mike wrote:I am about 3/4 of the way through my bottle. I WILL buy another bottle. I think it is an excellent whiskey and bears the distinct imprimatur of Chris Morris and the Brown Foreman distillery. It has the dry metallic character that the Old Forester Birthday Bourbons have (which I find appealing). It also has the tannins to control the sweetness and lengthen the finish. The tannins (long have I argued this in their favor) in the correct proportions, add a subtlety to bourbon that nothing else does (why do you think Van Winkle bourbons are renowned?). It is the equal to the 2008 Birthday Bourbon (a benchmark bourbon to me), and far superior, in my opinion, to regular WR. I have never been a great fan of regular WR. It is a very good bourbon, but lacks the subtlety and complex finish of the Double Oaked.

I agree with this excellent assessment by Mike. I will definitely be buying another bottle once mine has run dry.
Bob Barker

Unread postby crappie_fisherman » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:02 pm

I realize this is a little older of a post...but the double oaked does indeed have complexity to intrigue and satisfy me...

I got to try some this fall at the WR distillery...you have to specifically ask in the gift shop for a sample...it isn't something they offer up willingly...ha-ha...but if you ask...you will receive!!!

Unlike Mike though...I'm a huge fan of the regular WR...I've actually helped to drink a 747 out of WR from Detroit to Incheon (Seoul)...LOL...

The Double Oaked however has a much more bold presentation...everything is amplified in this offering...and the finish...well let's just say the finish is probably one of the longest you are going to encounter...on the order of minutes it seems...WOW is all I can say...I truly enjoy this Chris Morris offering and glad that it is a "regularly" available offering unlike the yearly "Selects"...
Last edited by crappie_fisherman on Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
crappie_fisherman

Unread postby Bob Barker » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:24 pm

Thanks for the post fisherman and I agree it is one heck of a bourbon that is bold to say the least. I am very happy it's a part of the regular lineup now
Bob Barker

Return to Bourbon, Straight