Bourbon and Women

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Bourbon and Women

Unread postby Mike » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:14 pm

Back when I was unattached to me wife (who is, by the way, quite attractive, and who has become like a rudder in me life, keeping me on a straight and true course (mostly)), I would occasionally meet a woman, who, by many standards, was not that noticeable to other guys.

Yet, to me, this woman had a magnetism and attractiveness that was most near irresistible. I could not name a single individual thing about her that could be called, without some disagreement among those who knew her, as exceptional. But, the whole package, personality, facial expressions, sense of humor, way of walking, smile, intelligence, and just her presence and that 'je ne sais quoi' mysteriousness, made one long to enjoy her company.

For me, there is just such a bourbon as this rare woman. This bourbon is 13 years old, is not particularly rich, in the way some older bourbons sometimes are; it is not delicate, the way some older bourbons are; it is not sweet the way some older bourbons are.

It is dry, in the way some older bourbons are; it is tannic (but not overly so) the way some older bourbons are, and there is a slight, but distinct, metallic twang to it that would be off putting to some folks. But, some folks don't have me peculiar tastes, now do they?

A bourbon can be great in your eyes and nothing special in the eyes of others. That is the license that is granted you when you have some experience with bourbon or, for that matter with women (ha ha).... which, btw, I cannot claim........ no one knows women, not women, not men.....no one knows bourbon, not men, not women.

The bourbon of which I speak so lovingly is Old Forester '08 Birthday Bourbon. For whatever reason, it cranks me tractor. It may not do a thing toward getting yours started.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Re: Bourbon and Women

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:15 pm

never had the birthday bourbon. had the 100 proof and thought it decent. last night at a friends birthday party, i tried some 86 Forester, and quit after just a sip. not my thing, but then again, nothing under 100 proof seems to be anyway.

ive tried maybe 20 bourbons so far, and i seem to fall into the small camp of people who really like Beams upper level offerings. KC 120, Bakers and Bookers, get, as you say, my crank going.................but, i wont waste my time with JBW, or JBB.
393foureyedfox

Unread postby Patrick_OKC » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:02 pm

I will second the Old Forester BB, and for that matter, some dimpled bottles I came across of the 86 and BIB (the latter not the Signature, which I also like). I like a flight of the old 86, then the BIB, and then the 2012 BB. Very satisfying.
Patrick_OKC

Unread postby ebo » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:19 pm

Great post, Mike. I'm going through a divorce after 27 years of marriage. Not sure I'll try again, but your analogy/descriptor of the woman resonated with me. :wink:
ebo

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:25 pm

you gotta take your time to find the right one......bourbon and woman
393foureyedfox

Unread postby JLH3 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:30 pm

If I make it through this year, I think I'm gonna put this bottle down
Maybe as time goes on I'll learn to miss it less than I do now
Think I'm gonna tell her that I'm gonna go away for a while
Till I can get this demon out

You know the bottle ain't to blame and I ain't trying to
It don't make you do a thing it just lets you
When I'm six feet underground, I'll need a drink or two
And I'll sure miss you

Take me piece by piece till there ain't nothing left worth taking away from me

The highway's humming in my head and it's hard to hear
Won't you read my lips if I pull you near enough
Could you read my fortune in the bottem of this coffee cup
Tell me how to tell when I've had enough

If morning's a bitch with open arms and night's a girl who's gone to far
Whiskey is harder to keep than a woman and it's half as sweet but
Women without whiskey, Women without whiskey
Whiskey is hard to beat
Whiskey is hard to beat

Women without Whiskey
- Drive-By Truckers
Between the wish and the thing the world lies waiting.
- Cormac McCarthy, All the Pretty Horses

"Your hair was darker then."
- Grant
"My heart was lighter then."
- Rico
The Professionals
JLH3

Unread postby GBrough » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:38 pm

I felt this way about oban 14 year, it had a quality to it that made me want more, and want to be around it more just to enjoy its company.
“A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
GBrough

Return to Bourbon, Straight