Flask, when and when not to use

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Flask, when and when not to use

Unread postby GBrough » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:41 pm

This question pertains to what quality of whisk(e)y should a flask have in it. A man who I go to church with puts his kirkland macallan 20 year in a flask, others say nothing above WT101 or a lighter bourbon.

This is a hot topic for me as I will be going to get togethers and it is easiser for me to bring my flask rather than bring a whole bottle of Macallan directors edition or rowans creek.
“A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
GBrough

Re: Flask, when and when not to use

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:51 pm

do what YOU feel like. i say screw anyone who looks down on you for it.

if you care what people think....put what you want in it and tell them its cheap stuff, or vice versa.
393foureyedfox

Unread postby GBrough » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:50 pm

okay thanks man, people in my age group often pick JD Old No.7 for shots or something just as foul so i am going to fill it with some scotch, any tips on how to treat it after it is empty so i dont get a scotch with a bourbon aftertaste.
“A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
GBrough

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:56 pm

this is a good flask for JD#7 and scotch!
393foureyedfox

Unread postby GBrough » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:01 pm

that got me good, bourbon is my favorite style of whiskey followed up by scotch.
GBrough

Unread postby Bob Barker » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:18 pm

I don't find that great whiskey being in a flask for a few hours does much to the whiskey. But if it is 10-12 hours of sitting time in the flask I find that the whiskey can take on unpleasant metallic notes in my experience. That's my only concern with putting quality whiskey in a flask is if I leave in over night on accident I find the whiskey is just not as good anymore.
Bob Barker

Unread postby EllenJ » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:29 pm

While I wouldn't recommend mixing Scotch and Bourbon per se (worst of both worlds, as I see it), a few drops of either won't hurt the other.

One thing about a flask... even if it has a brand name on it, everyone knows you filled it with something and they don't know what. You can go cheap, and swear it's high-priced stuff. Or you can fill it with the best you've got and just smile when whoever you're sharing with says, "wow! that's great whiskey".

OR...

You could buy up a case of cheap flasks and have your name etched on 'em, then fill one with Pappy or Stagg and tell folks it's just Jim Beam White, but the secret is the flask. "Why I just happen to have a couple of these I could let you have, for a price. Now, Y'know you gotta leave th' whiskey in the flask for at least a year" (that gives you plenty of time to get out of town) :discodance: :discodance: :discodance:
=JOHN=
(the "Jaye" part of "L 'n' J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
EllenJ

Unread postby GBrough » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:16 pm

I know to never mix bourbon or scotch each one has their place in my cabinet and in reality it depends on the weather for me. I am just tired of going to peoples houses and having to force down smirnoff vodka, JD Old No.7 or other things that i dont enjoy plus i know where my select drink came from.
GBrough

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:19 pm

when we have parties, we encourage everyone to bring along one of their favorite drinks. that way, they know they will have something they like, and others can have a sip and experience it as well. no one ever seems offended. I know that, depending on which friends i go see, they will either have weak ass watered down ET, tasty but not spicy enough bourbon, beer only, tea/soda only....

we usually host a party and announce the main dish and ask everyone to bring one side and their favorite drink, with enough to share.
393foureyedfox

Unread postby GBrough » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:24 pm

My friends are in the shot age, and my taste are much more refined we are all in our early twenties i just grew out of shots quickly while they stay where they are and while it is encourage we bring our own drinks i will not bring a 60+ bottle of whisk(e)y
GBrough

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:43 pm

GBrough wrote: i will not bring a 60+ bottle of whisk(e)y

not for shooters! thats what BIB's are for!
393foureyedfox

Unread postby GBrough » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:48 pm

I dont do shooters thats the point i am trying to make, to the people i know in my age group if its not a shot, beer, or wine its not worth drinking.
GBrough

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:10 am

yeah, i agree.

i think id smack a bitch if they reached over the BIB's and grabbed my KC1B to mix with coke. and that's not even considered "pricey" stuff here
393foureyedfox

Unread postby GBrough » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:12 am

yea i would hit them with the bottle, i like sharing just fine if they want to try a tipple i actually look forward to letting them try it so i can pry their taste buds out of the gutter.
GBrough

Unread postby Birdo » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:49 am

I don't own a 'flask'. You can get a plastic travel bottle if you want, they are handy on the golf cource, and you can sneak them into the Derby infield. Go cheap in case it gets confiscated. Evan Williams black in a plastic 750 works nicely.
Birdo

Next

Return to Bourbon, Straight