What Glass Do You Use?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Re: What Glass Do You Use?

Unread postby bunghole » Sat May 04, 2013 7:02 pm

EllenJ wrote:Thanks for reposting a link to that page. Best comparison photo of whiskey glasses ever.
Then again, what else should one expect from you?
Thanks again. See ya this summer.

You're quite welcome John!
I just finished watching the derby. My horse didn't win.
Everything seems to be up in the air right now as far as the bourbon get together is concerned, but I am still open.
I had been getting some small photography jobs. Still looking for full time work.
How's that for a jaunt through bungholes' life? :roll:
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
bunghole

Unread postby bunghole » Sat May 04, 2013 7:05 pm

Bob Barker wrote:Thanks bunghole that is a great thread you linked!

You're quite welcome Bob! :D
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
bunghole

Unread postby RaksAbijah » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:06 pm

I bought a case of Libby spirit glasses. Case only and you can get them through your local restaurant supply. They are a newer release, so an older catalogue wouldn't show them. A cross between an old fashioned glass and a glencairn. Nice shape, but meaty - Feels good in the hand.

Abijah
RaksAbijah

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:10 pm

I prefer a brandy snifter to nose and drink my Bourbon. I have tried all the rest and keep coming back to it.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:36 pm

1oz shot glasses for tastings or small drinks.

for large pours, i use a glass tumbler. i once took a HH tour and they gave us each two glass Elijah Craig tumblers. they probably hold 8-10oz, and these are what i commonly use.

i dont want anything with a stem on it, or anything that makes me feel like i am trying to drink out of an upside down funnel, like a snifter glass.

most people, i imagine, stick with what they started with. for me, its shot glasses and tumblers.

everytime the wife and i travel to a new state, i get a shot glass to add to my collection. i try to get a neat one that shows something humorous/symbolic of what the state is known for. one of my favorites is the New Mexico shot glass, with a couple of panicky looking aliens about to crash into the desert.
393foureyedfox

Unread postby JPBoston » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:07 am

I like a fairly standard brandy snifter best. Seems to offer the best mix of size, functionality, and ease-of-use for me.

I do use my Glencairn often, especially when trying a new bourbon, or one I haven't had in awhile. It does feel a bit small, and looks odd when a 6'4 240lb guy is holding it. ;)

ADDED:

LOL --- Just realized and verified that I already posted in this thread a few months ago (on the first page). At least my opinion matches. :)
JPBoston

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:39 am

Glassware is important to the tasting experience. I like any glass that funnels the aromas to the nose. A brandy snifter or wine glass work well, but I prefer the Glencairn glass for two main reasons: 1) it is easy to carry with me if I need a good glass and 2) it is very durable. I have only lost two glencairn glasses to breakage. I dropped one and someone knocked the other off the table onto a concrete patio. Brandy snifters and wine glass are not easy to carry with you and the stems do tend to break.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby Duewester » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:34 pm

I'm very impressed with the Glencairn glass. I have several that were gifts from bourbonv and when I want to impress others, I break them out. However, I do like the looks of the Copita Nosing Glass and I am going to order one from Amazon in about 4 minutes.
Duewester

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:58 pm

I only use the brandy snifter when I'm tasting at home. I use a glencairn when I'm on the road.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby JLH3 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:10 pm

Usually a crystal lowball glass. However, if I'm tasting, a spirit glass from Reidel.

I would like to say that other than these, the proper way to drink good bourbon is out of a steel mug around a campfire.
Between the wish and the thing the world lies waiting.
- Cormac McCarthy, All the Pretty Horses

"Your hair was darker then."
- Grant
"My heart was lighter then."
- Rico
The Professionals
JLH3

Unread postby alext » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:50 am

Im hooked on stemless wine glasses, i started with cut crystal old fashioned glass i picked up from an antiques dealer, then moved onto brandy snifters which blew my mind with the diffrence they made, which makes sense because i usually spend longer nosing than i do drinking, then settled on stemless red wine glasses, best of both worlds!

Currently looking for good quality cut crystal glasses stemless wine glasses, i have seen waterford ones but they go for about $150 per pair, which considering the usual lifespan of glassware at my place it may not be the best long term investment
alext

Unread postby devilscut » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:31 am

In my opinion, the best bourbon glass is the Glencairn glass. Chimney tapered top for nosing, and a nice base to set on. No stem.
devilscut

Unread postby GBrough » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:53 pm

I used a remy martin brandy snifter at a party for my wild turkey 101 and it enhanced the smells, still I plan to get a glencairn glass.
“A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
GBrough

Unread postby devilscut » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:18 pm

GBrough, you will love the Glencairn. Most distilleries herre in Kentucky sell them in their gift shop. You might find them at your liquor store. They are about 6-7 dolllars.
devilscut

Unread postby GBrough » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:41 pm

devilscut wrote:GBrough, you will love the Glencairn. Most distilleries herre in Kentucky sell them in their gift shop. You might find them at your liquor store. They are about 6-7 dolllars.

Here they cost around 7-13 dollars but still if i get more enjoyment with my whiskies then i will spring for it.
“A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
GBrough

PreviousNext

Return to Bourbon, Straight