Please, help me in my search.

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Please, help me in my search.

Unread postby TexasNomad » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:11 pm

Hello all! I'm a new guy with a love of Bourbon but can't seem to find the right one, I'll start off by saying I'm no well read bourbon drinker and I may have taste for something many Bourbon drinkers might not like, but if you could please lend me some recommendations I would be forever great full.
Any ways my search started many years ago when I was in El Paso, we went to Mexico, yes Mexico and stopped in a Liquor store as we walked the racks all the old faces were there, all the Big box American Names, Jack, Wild turkey etc, etc and all alone on the bottom Rack was a bottle (That looked all most like a Jim Beam) called Juarez Whiskey: Straight American Bourbon.. So we bought a few (At 10 bucks why not) and took them home.. It ruined Bourbons for me, it was so smooth so sweet it was insidious, it was like drinking warm Velvet, it was full of Vanilla, Caramels, Fruits, buttery sugar spice and everything nice, it was just amazing, very little spice IE pepper burn, and some how no, and I mean NO burn, any where, start or finish. And ever since then, I've been on the hurt for something similar if not comparable to it. I've tried many Bourbons and I've enjoyed none of them neat, I just got done trying bernheim wheat whiskey, terrible to me, it was like trying to drink a bottle of Cracked black and green Pepper, awful.
Tried Larceny, smelled wonderful! but unless I mixed it with about 2 cubes worth of water I couldn't drink it neat.
I might need to take cover for this one, but tried Makers Mark, and I threw the bottle away, I know it has many loyal fans, but it tasted like Sick to me :( sorry, i'm not trying to insult any ones taste, but its what I tasted, maybe i'm just a big wimp with a soft mouth(Just don't call it "Purdy") but this is what I'm looking for.
Some thing Smooth, with little to no burn, or bite, sweet and full of Caramels and sugars, I've heard Blanton's has some of this, but at 60-100 bucks I'm scared to try it out. If you could throw any ideas or names my way I would be much appreciated. Thank you for your time and help gents :)
TexasNomad

Re: Please, help me in my search.

Unread postby Satty Beach » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:27 am

I drank that, back in TJ during a peso crisis, pretty good stuff. Good to take the edge off after a hard day distributing bibles to the poor. But down there, takillya is the thing, head and shoulders better than even the silver/gold they ship up here to North Mexico.
Taken the cure.
Satty Beach

Unread postby Squire » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:45 pm

I suggest you might find some Canadian whiskys such as Canadian Club Sherry Finished more to your liking.
Squire

Unread postby Jwk11 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:03 pm

Try Evan Williams Black, price is right, it's light on your palate and has some if not all of the sweetness you described...
Jwk11

Unread postby TexasNomad » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:24 pm

Satty Beach wrote:I drank that, back in TJ during a peso crisis, pretty good stuff. Good to take the edge off after a hard day distributing bibles to the poor. But down there, takillya is the thing, head and shoulders better than even the silver/gold they ship up here to North Mexico.

Man if I could get my hands on a few hundred Bottles :drunken:

Squire wrote:I suggest you might find some Canadian whiskys such as Canadian Club Sherry Finished more to your liking.

HMMM! Never thought about looking up North! and I am starting to wonder if that Whisky I had in Mexico was finished in Sherry Cask? Thank you for the Recommendation, I will definitely be on the hunt.

Jwk11 wrote:Try Evan Williams Black, price is right, it's light on your palate and has some if not all of the sweetness you described...

Heck! thats stuff is only 12 bucks! it will be tried, thank you :)
TexasNomad

Unread postby TNtraveler » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:13 pm

Where I grew up in TN, JD's was considered rot gut, only fit to drink with something to hide the taste. MM and WT were favorites for drinking neat, which is the only way I drink it. When I found George Dickel #12 I pretty much put them all aside. I've tried some of the more expensive bourbons. (to me approaching $100 a bottle or and up) and still haven't found anything I like better. Great Tennessee Sour Mash. Now MM is pretty much for when I go out and that's the best they have. I seldom find Dickel in resturants, occasionally in bars.

Give it a try I would be interested in what you think?
TNtraveler

Unread postby TexasNomad » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:07 am

TNtraveler wrote:Where I grew up in TN, JD's was considered rot gut, only fit to drink with something to hide the taste. MM and WT were favorites for drinking neat, which is the only way I drink it. When I found George Dickel #12 I pretty much put them all aside. I've tried some of the more expensive bourbons. (to me approaching $100 a bottle or and up) and still haven't found anything I like better. Great Tennessee Sour Mash. Now MM is pretty much for when I go out and that's the best they have. I seldom find Dickel in resturants, occasionally in bars.

Give it a try I would be interested in what you think?

Hmm.. I've seen that brand for years but never gave it a thought because I thought it was just another JD. I will give it a go next time I head to the store. Thank you for the recommendation.
TexasNomad

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:18 am

Dickel #12. Good stuff.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby Squire » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:52 am

Another vote for Dickel 12.
Squire

Unread postby JPBoston » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:20 pm

The Canadian whisky suggestions seem the best bet to me, given what you told us about your taste preferences, but sticking with bourbon....

I'd say try Old Weller Antique ($18.99 here). It's 107 proof, so you may want to add a bit of water... but give it a shot, if you're still willing to give bourbon a try. It's a pure wheater, very sweet.... many feel it's the best value in bourbon.

If you enjoy a rye kick along with some heavy sweetness, I just bought my first bottle of Fighting Cock (103 proof) a couple nights ago, and fully recommend it. It's super sweet up front (caramel), then kicks you with a bit of rye spice in the mid palate, then back to sweetness on the finish. I'm loving this brand! Only $13.99 here, so well worth giving it the chance. It's funny, I always assumed it was rot-gut due to the name, but it's quickly becoming on of my favorites.

Lastly, I've heard that Elmer T Lee bourbon is very sweet, on the caramel side. I haven't had a chance to try this yet, as it's not readily available in my market.... but I'm dying to special order it one of these days.

OK --- I lied, one very last one. It's not super-sweet, but Knob Creek is an excellent, and not very pricey bourbon to try ($25-27). I feel it's basically the perfect "just plain, high quality bourbon", it's kind of the Evan Williams Black of the upper-middle shelf, if that makes any sense. As for flavor, I get a good hint of cherry in it.
JPBoston

Unread postby GBrough » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:44 am

Old Weller Antique you say well i think i found something i might enjoy, or try crown royal maple "shudder" way to sweet on my palate but you never know.
“A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
GBrough

Unread postby meg » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:50 pm

Found this website when I searched for Juarez Straight American Whiskey. Someone just gave me an unopened quart bottle of this. Someone said it is sweet, so is that like Southern Comfort? Sorry, I don't know much about whiskey. My husband drinks scotch.
meg

Return to Bourbon, Straight