Mint Julep Jelly Shots

Cookin' in the kitchen with bourbon & Brenda! Come on in and view her recipes or share with us some of your own.

Moderator: Squire

Mint Julep Jelly Shots

Unread postby steeltown » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:52 pm

I ran across this interesting recipe for Mint Julep Jelly Shots at http://blackandgoldtchotchkes.wordpress.com/

Mint Julep Jelly Shots

You will need:3/4 cup of sugar
3/4 cup of water
1 cup of bourbon (Any ole’ type of bourbon will do. No need to use the fancy stuff, because you’re just going to boil it.)
2 packets of unflavored gelatin
3 bunches of mint (One for the simple syrup, two for garnishing.)

Heat the water and the sugar over medium heat until the sugar dissolves, and then add 1 bunch of mint leaves to the syrup. Boil for two to three minutes, and strain out the mint. Reduce heat to low and allow to cool slightly. Slowly stir two packets of unflavored gelatin into 1 cup of bourbon. (Don’t worry if the gelatin does not dissolve all the way just yet.) Combine with the mint simple syrup and stir over low heat for 3-5 minutes, until the gelatin is completely dissolved and has had time to open up and “bloom” in liquid.

Pour into a loaf pan (or an 8×8 pan), cover, and refrigerate for at least six hours until set completely. If need be, you can hurry the process along some by freezing for one hour and then refrigerating for 3-4 hours, but more often than not, I’ve found that when I try to hurry gelatin, I forget that I’ve put it in the freezer or the freezer is too cold and freezes the edge of the pan which is no good at all. Just plan ahead.

Each batch yields between 18-24 jelly shots and can easily doubled if cooled and set in two separate pans.

I have some Old Crow 80 proof (don't ask why) that I plan to use to try this out.
steeltown

Return to Bourbon Recipes