Vegetable Soup

Cookin' in the kitchen with bourbon & Brenda! Come on in and view her recipes or share with us some of your own.

Moderator: Squire

Vegetable Soup

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:46 am

Once again I am inspired by Mike! I make a pot of Vegetable soup that is quite popular at bourbon Society meetings. I thought I might put the recipe up here for your enjoyment. I will warn you this is a recipe I learned by watching and to my knowledge, this may be the first time it has been put down in writing, so the measurements are non existant other than "to taste". This can be anywhere from a dash to a quarter cup or more.

In a five gallon soup pot brown 5 pounds of stew beef. While browning add Worcestershire sauce, tabasco sauce, salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes and chili powder. Dice 1 large onion and 5 cloves of garlic and add while the meat is browning in the pot. Dice 3 potatoes, 6 to 8 carrots, 6 to 8 stalks of celery and add to the meat. Open 4 cans of tomatoes - I use 2 Red Gold with Chipolte and 2 Red Gold with Basil and add to the pot. I then add two pounds frozen mixed vegetables, a head of cabbage, diced, some brown sugar. bourbon and three cans of Tomatoe Juice. I let this come to a boil and then turn the heat down. I let it set and stew for at least 4 hours until the vegetables are cooked through. This will serve about twenty hungry Bourbon Society members or a family of four for about a five days. It does freeze quite well for later use, but I recommend thawing in a pot on the stove over a microwave because the vegetable seem to stay crisper on the stove.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Re: Vegetable Soup

Unread postby bunghole » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:58 pm

ima'd like a big bowl of that stew, please sir.
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
bunghole

Unread postby brendaj » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:26 pm

ima'd like a big bowl of that stew, please sir.

Oh yeah, yes you would... :bounce:

I've gotta admit, Mr. Veach has it goin' on when it comes to vegetable soup. He has convinced me that cabbage, Bourbon & brown sugar (and lots of other good stuff) belong in vegetable soup.

IMHO, this is the ultimate base vegetable soup recipe. You can tweak it to your taste. Personally, I love it just like this. I could live on this soup. I have actually eaten it for a couple of days straight... And here's the true test...I have eaten this soup cold... :lol:

Thanks for posting the recipe Mike.
As a Kentuckian, I consider it my civic duty to drink Bourbon, smoke and bet the ponies. Its a tuff job, but someone has to do it...
brendaj

Unread postby bourbonv » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:54 am

Brenda is always first in line when I have brought this soup to Bourbon Society meetings. Julian and Preston Van Winkle, Ed Foote and other guests also seem to really like this soup. I may have to make another pot soon.
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby bunghole » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:41 pm

If Brenda likes it, than ima knows it gottsa be good!

Hurry! FedEx overnight while it's still hoTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:snorting:

Linn
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
bunghole

Unread postby Bourbon HQ » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:39 pm

Yeah Mike, I'm ready for another pot of your soup. I'll get Martha to make some crockpot cornbread to go with it. All we need now is an event.

Gayle
Bourbon HQ

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:53 pm

I am making a pot of this soup for tonight's meeting of The Bourbon Society.
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Return to Bourbon Recipes