Vegetable beef soup

Cookin' in the kitchen with bourbon & Brenda! Come on in and view her recipes or share with us some of your own.

Moderator: Squire

Vegetable beef soup

Unread postby Mike » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:58 pm

Today I have been making vegetable beef soup...........and when my wife ain't looking Imo slip in a bit of bourbon (I/2 a cup of Pappy 20). I am making about a gallon. I ain't got no exact quantities except there is 1 and 1/2 pounds of beef (browned in butter, garlic and onions),, a tablespoon Tone's beef base, and then okry, potatoes, limas, carrots, a can of beef stock, !/2 cup of red wine, 2 cans of stewed tomatoes and spices to taste (bay leaves, etc, etc.)

It gone be too good!! My wife gone make some cornbread and we gone eat 'til we fall out!!!

Y'all come over!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Re: Vegetable beef soup

Unread postby Mike » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:21 pm

Man, that was close! I had to put the Pappy 20 (after a nip..........having about half a cup in my hand like as if I was gonna drink it provided the opportunity to slip it in unnoticed) into the soup as my wife stood beside me........she would not be happy to know that bourbon went into this soup.........and she never will, unless one a y'all spills the beans!

I tasted this soup and it is very good stuff. I will be looking to see if the bourbon made an appearance, even if ever so slight.

Not strange to say, I like a little dryness in my soup just as I do in my bourbon. I will edit this post after the soup has been served..........

Still time for y'all to come on over now. If you don't, I will freeze about 8 servings...........you know, don't ya, that soup only gets better the second time around. (I bet BrendaJ knows that..........where is she anyway.........she needs to get in this game more...........she knows food and bourbon all both!)

P.S. I been eating that soup and I may being lying to my own self (I been known to do that with some frequency), but I think the Pappy 20 added a subtle degree of subtleness (is that just a verbal tautology?) and smoothness to the taste...........being full of shit, you know it!, has some advantages.......the world is a more playful place if you are so gifted.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby gillmang » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:44 pm

Mike, your port addition functions as an 1800's blending agent. They used fruit concentrates, sherry, port and similar things. The idea was to unite the constituent whiskeys but not take away essentially from the whiskey palate - sounds like you achieved the optimum quality sought by these old methods.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby brendaj » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:15 pm

I bet BrendaJ knows that..........where is she anyway.........she needs to get in this game more...........she knows food and bourbon all both!)

Hey Mike,
I'm sorry Sugar, I'm here.
Your recipe sounds great. I love bay leaves, and Tone's base is the ONLY, ONLY, ONLY!! And yep absolutely...any soup is always better the next day (if there's any left...). And while I can understand your wife's position, I'm witcha about the Pappy's. I'm all about not ever cooking with a Bourbon that you wouldn't drink straight for fun.

I so apologize for not being around for ahhhwile. Health has kept me from drinking much Bourbon, an' I'm just selfish enough that I can't hardly stand to talk about it, if I can't drink it... :wink:

But, I have been thinkin' about y'all...I swear. About a month ago, Louisville had a pretty good rain. During the storm, my storage shed was damaged by another tenant while she was moving in. Most of my GGrandma's cookbooks were ruined. GGranma Garrett was a huge fan of Cissy Gregg, and had saved her supplements to the Courier-Journal from the 40's & 50's. She had passed Cissy on to me, and I'm embarrassed to admit, when I saw the damage I sobbed like a child. But I'm not really trying to bum anyone out here. It'll be ok, I've been thinking, the way to preserve these recipes is to post them here. So I promise to be around more in 2010.

Hope y'all had a really Merry Christmas, and may the New Year bring many new expressions!
As a Kentuckian, I consider it my civic duty to drink Bourbon, smoke and bet the ponies. Its a tuff job, but someone has to do it...
brendaj

Return to Bourbon Recipes