Comments on TNbourbon's review of Bakers 7 year old (old bot

Comments and Discussion on Whiskey Reviews found in BE.com's database

Moderator: Squire

Comments on TNbourbon's review of Bakers 7 year old (old bot

Unread postby forumadmin » Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:45 am

This is an automatically created topic for discussion about TNbourbon's review of Bakers 7 year old (old bottle);.
forumadmin
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby gillmang » Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:45 am

Excellent review and accords with my own assessment of the old and current versions of Baker's. The original bottling has some of the "acetone" one finds in current Baker's and most other current Beam whiskeys, but less and enveloped in a rich fudge and oak mantling as Tim says. That keynote, which some people I think call a rye or funk background, seems a characteristic of modern Beam (I find it least in Knob Creek and sometimes Beam Black has only a little of it). I sampled about a year ago or more some Jim Beam white label from 1980 and found very little of that taste. However it is possible that it dissipates with time, even in the bottle. I wonder if this might happen with the current Baker's too, e.g. if kept ten years, will it taste better than now? This is hard to say but after some experience in the last couple of years sampling older bottles with bourbon board colleagues I have to allow for this possibility.
gillmang
Vatman

Return to Whiskey Review Discussion