Old Crow Chess Board

Have an old/rare bottle you'd like some more info on?

Moderator: Squire

Old Crow Chess Board

Unread postby bourbonv » Fri May 23, 2008 9:16 am

I had the chance to meet the new head of the KDA this week. He was telling me that he spends a lot of time answering telephone calls, but one of his favorites is a once a week telephone call from an 85 years old lady who owns a complete set of the Old Crow chess pieces, but is looking for the rug chess board to go with them. She calls and he checks ebay to see if there is one for sale there. If anybody has one they want to get rid of or knows where they can get one, Eric would be glad to talk to you.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Re: Old Crow Chess Board

Unread postby ACDetroit » Fri May 30, 2008 11:48 am

Wow Mike they get a pretty penny for a full set I see!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Full-Set-Old-Crow-L ... .m20.l1116

Tony
Tony Curtis

“So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey.”
W.C. Fields
ACDetroit

Unread postby TNbourbon » Fri May 30, 2008 6:08 pm

Looks like an 'offer', Tony, not a 'bid' -- meaning it's something less than the $1,900 starting bid.
If it were me (and it wouldn't be!), it wouldn't top $100. Empty bottles don't do all that much to my tastebuds.
TNbourbon

Unread postby ACDetroit » Fri May 30, 2008 8:56 pm

I'm with you Tim! I did some searching this afternoon online with no luck! I like the fact Eric is looking for it for and older lady, that's awesome. So if I can find one reasonable I would pick it up and gladly send it to her. The one thing I have found in the bourbon community is everyone seems to be willing to help one another! If only the rest of the world would catch on!

Cheers!
Tony
Tony Curtis

“So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey.”
W.C. Fields
ACDetroit

Unread postby cowdery » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:47 pm

A few years ago, a full set (minus the board) was located and acquired collectively by a group that included myself. Sadly, we split-up the set, each taking a pawn and one other piece. (See picture, taken at the Gazebo.) At the time we made inquiries about the board, which was essentially a rug, and couldn't find any to be had. We did learn that while the decanters (i.e., the chess pieces) were sold at retail, the board was strictly a mail-in thing for people who completed the set. I don't think very many of them were ever produced or sold.
Attachments
chess 2.jpg
chess 2.jpg (133.99 KiB) Viewed 13052 times
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby bigguy » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:39 am

I have this set complete with the boxes they came in PLUS the boxes the boxes came in. I do NOT have the rug. I am looking to sell the entire collection. Is this of interest to any of the members here? Please give me a call. Glenn 608-795-2744 or cell 608-333-2744.
bigguy

Unread postby cowdery » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:30 pm

The set we had also came with all the boxes, but they were badly mildewed so I pitched mine. I've never seen the rug except in pictures.

The whiskey, by the way, is a ten year old and pretty good, although ceramics are much worse than glass in permitting various problems with the whiskey. It wouldn't be harmful, but it might not taste so good.

I've always loved the audacity of the whole project.

Glenn, you don't mention if your bottles are full or empty. it's important to know.

It would not be crazy to contact Jim Beam to see if they might be interested (they own the Old Crow brand).
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby Dump Bucket » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:25 am

I just aquired one of these, less the chess board. All of the decanters are full.

I violated my own :partyman: "Don't drink and look for things on ebay" rule :hiding:, but the kids will have a blast playing.

These will make one hell of a "Drink the peice you loose" game.... :roll:

All-in-all, not too bad of a price with shipping for these. I did a calculation on what is whould take to buy the individually with shipping with the empty bottels I could find for sale, offered a little more than that thinking I would have my offer rejected (about half of the asking price) and went to sleep late, late last night... Got up early and... "you have won XXXX" :occasion9: :cup:

Anyone know what these puppies went for originally? Just curious....
"What I do I do because I like to do." Alex DeLarge ACWO
Dump Bucket
Bourbon Head
Bourbon Head

Unread postby chessfan » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:20 pm

I may have the Old Crow Chess Board you are looking for. As it appears there are not many of them, I have not seen a picture to know that what I have is the right one. It looks kind of like a hook rug! I may be interested in selling it as I have made a tile board for the set I have.
chessfan

Unread postby greendragonsoldier » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:09 am

I have the complete old crow chess decanter set with the rug. The decanters have the leather boxes they came in as well as 4 of the packaging boxes the boxes came in. I am possibly interested in selling. If anyone has any interest please txt me at 941 879 4269. My name is frank i live in just south of st pete florida. Good portion of the bottles still have the liquor. Inside.. serious inquires only please.
greendragonsoldier

Unread postby oohshinycollectibles » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:57 pm

Just thought I'd let everyone know, I just listed a chessboard on eBay on a 7 day auction. I was shopping at an antique store a few weeks ago and someone had a sign up that read 30 bottles for $$$ (undisclosed amount), the 30 bottles being the Old Crow Chess Decanters. So I did the eBay search and decided, why not? And the store owner was like oh, there's this rug that goes with it, too. Everything for one price. I got home & discovered the rug was a hard to find item! Thus the auction. If 2 of the decanters weren't broken, I'd try to sell everything as a set, but they are, so here's a chance for someone to get the rug they've been needing.

Visit my store oohshinycollectibles on eBay.
oohshinycollectibles

Return to Collector's Corner