wheaters. anything come close to larceny?

Have an old/rare bottle you'd like some more info on?

Moderator: Squire

wheaters. anything come close to larceny?

Unread postby hayneser » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:50 am

i have recently become a bourbon drinker,, always had the jd and coke in a pub of course ( i know not a real bourbon ) but currently have a bottle of larceny after much research, enjoying with a single rock at the moment. very nice, are there others like larceny or maybe slightly sweeter? or is it all personal preference and palate etc? a friend mentioned bernheim a wheated whiskey. is that still pretty much a boubon?
hayneser

Re: wheaters. anything come close to larceny?

Unread postby WhiskeyCollector » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:57 pm

hayneser wrote:i have recently become a bourbon drinker,, always had the jd and coke in a pub of course ( i know not a real bourbon ) but currently have a bottle of larceny after much research, enjoying with a single rock at the moment. very nice, are there others like larceny or maybe slightly sweeter? or is it all personal preference and palate etc? a friend mentioned bernheim a wheated whiskey. is that still pretty much a boubon?

Bernheim is one of the few whiskeys made from mostly wheat so it's not a bourbon which needs to be at least 51% corn.
Pappy Van Winkle whiskeys are also wheated bourbons along with Old Weller, WL Weller, Maker's Mark, Virginia Gentleman, and Rebel Yell which are much easier to find.
WhiskeyCollector

Unread postby fenderbender4 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:21 am

Larceny stands out to me as a wheater that easily lives up to the price. Weller stuff is usually marked up, and as much people rave about it, once OWA is priced at $35+, it gets hard to justify buying it (at least as a daily drinker) versus what else can be bought with that kind of money. Everyone's palate is different though, as well as how things are priced.

If OWA and Larceny are equal price I'd go OWA, but I've seen Larceny for $20 for a 750ml and at that price it's really good. All my opinion/experiences (which hasn't been too long admittedly).

I haven't tried Bernheim, but as has been mentioned it's not a bourbon so the profile will be different. I wasn't a fan of Rebel Yell. I might be an oddball, but wheaters aren't the end-all/be-all of whiskey. Yes Pappy is a wheater but I think what makes it good is the process of how it's selected as well as the aging. Wheat whiskeys do bring something unique and can be really great but there are a lot of other great options out there too nowadays.

If wheat is what you want, the Maker's Mark line is wheat dominant.

As to cheap ones, I'd really recommend Old Fitzgerald BIB. Now that's a cheap one I can get behind.
fenderbender4

Unread postby WhiskeyCollector » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:00 am

fenderbender4 wrote:Larceny stands out to me as a wheater that easily lives up to the price. Weller stuff is usually marked up, and as much people rave about it, once OWA is priced at $35+, it gets hard to justify buying it (at least as a daily drinker) versus what else can be bought with that kind of money. Everyone's palate is different though, as well as how things are priced.

If OWA and Larceny are equal price I'd go OWA, but I've seen Larceny for $20 for a 750ml and at that price it's really good. All my opinion/experiences (which hasn't been too long admittedly).

I haven't tried Bernheim, but as has been mentioned it's not a bourbon so the profile will be different. I wasn't a fan of Rebel Yell. I might be an oddball, but wheaters aren't the end-all/be-all of whiskey. Yes Pappy is a wheater but I think what makes it good is the process of how it's selected as well as the aging. Wheat whiskeys do bring something unique and can be really great but there are a lot of other great options out there too nowadays.

If wheat is what you want, the Maker's Mark line is wheat dominant.

As to cheap ones, I'd really recommend Old Fitzgerald BIB. Now that's a cheap one I can get behind.

I heard they stopped making Old Fitzgerald BIB. I really want a bottle for my BIB collection but I've never seen it at any of the stores I've been to in Maryland, Virginia, or Kentucky.
WhiskeyCollector

Return to Collector's Corner