Sealed Pedigree Bourbon Whiskey in can

Have an old/rare bottle you'd like some more info on?

Moderator: Squire

Sealed Pedigree Bourbon Whiskey in can

Unread postby randyduke » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:59 pm

Thank you for any help or advice that can be offered. I inherited a pint bottle of Pedigree Bourbon Whiskey sealed in a can. There is no date on the can, which is in excellent condition (no rust, dents or scratches, but a nicely aged patina). There is a key to open the can on the top. I can hear the bottled Bourbon inside what sounds like a felt lined can. From the sound there has been very little evaporation. There are no dates on the can, but there are 4 patents stamped in the metal (204,069 issued 1878; 256,335 issued 1882; 272,658 issued 1883; and 284,023 also issued 1883). The printing on the can reads:
"Pedigree Bourbon Whiskey
Bottled in Bond under Government Supervision
by Distillers Corporation Limited
Montreal, Canada
contents 16 fl. ozs."

(very small print)
"IMPORTANT NOTICE
This PEDIGREE De Luxe Bourbon Whiskey is of such exceptionallly fine quality and flavour that it merits this specially designed bottle with its metal labels, its patented tamper-proof seal and the watermarked paper in which it is wrapped. All these features are designed as a protection against imitations and to guarantee the purchaser the genuineness of a de luxe product in a de luxe container. Contents include genuine American Whiskeys all not less than 12 years old."

From what I have been able to discoover online, Samuel Bronfman founded Distillers Corporation Limited, in Montreal, in 1924 which enjoyed substantial growth in the 1920s, in part due to Prohibition in the United States. In 1928, a few years after the death of Joseph E. Seagram (1919), the Distillers Corporation acquired Joseph E. Seagram & Sons, and took over the Seagram name.

Can anyone tell me what the estimated value or range of value that this bottle might be?

If anyone would like some photos, I would be happy to send them.
randyduke

Return to Collector's Corner