How much is your bottle worth?

Have an old/rare bottle you'd like some more info on?

Moderator: Squire

Re: How much is your bottle worth?

Unread postby berkeley223 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:45 pm

I have 3 bottles of Patty Van Winkle 23. I bought out a store's stock a few years ago when I saw they were selling them for a good 100-200 less than I'd seen elsewhere (paid $180 each). I haven't opened the bottles and frankly I like other bourbons more so I don't have any strong desire to drink it. I was in a liquor store today and see them selling for $999! The owner offered to buy mine and asked me to make him an offer, I said I'd think about it.
Question: if I were to sell these today, what do you think I could get?
More important (perhaps newbie) question: Will this stuff keep appreciating? If I hang on for 5-10 years could it be worth much more than $999? I know they have limited releases of the 23 year old from time to time, so it's not like this stuff is the last bottles that will exist.

Thanks
berkeley223

Unread postby ashleyco » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:52 am

Are you talking about full, empty, or both types of bottles?
ashleyco

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:37 pm

berkeley223 wrote:I have 3 bottles of Patty Van Winkle 23. I bought out a store's stock a few years ago when I saw they were selling them for a good 100-200 less than I'd seen elsewhere (paid $180 each). I haven't opened the bottles and frankly I like other bourbons more so I don't have any strong desire to drink it. I was in a liquor store today and see them selling for $999! The owner offered to buy mine and asked me to make him an offer, I said I'd think about it.
Question: if I were to sell these today, what do you think I could get?
More important (perhaps newbie) question: Will this stuff keep appreciating? If I hang on for 5-10 years could it be worth much more than $999? I know they have limited releases of the 23 year old from time to time, so it's not like this stuff is the last bottles that will exist.

Thanks

Currently selling in the $600 range.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby jetskili » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:23 pm

Would these be worth anything?
I found these in my dads cellar. Been there for abut 30 years I know of.
Looking forward to getting to know enthusiasts.
Jetskili
Attachments
allvintage.jpg
allvintage.jpg (372.17 KiB) Viewed 22809 times
jetskili

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:35 pm

I would be interested in the Harper, Yellowstone and two bottles of Ancient Age. Let me know if you want to sell any.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby Danial » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:40 pm

bourbonv wrote:From time to time people will show up at this forum simply to find out how much their old bottle is worth and how to sell it. I think this would be a good place to discuss this question in some detail.

The short answer to the question is simply - Your bottle is worth whatever you can convince someone to give you for it.

There is no real market for old American whiskey for several reasons. The first is that it is illegal to sell alcohol without a license.

Mike Veach

This is my first post here, so I hope this doesn't come off as spam but I would like to address this old post from Mr. Veach. Contrary to popular belief, it is legal to ship adult beverages through UPS and Fed-Ex. And the USPS is now strongly considering allowing the same for private individuals. In August, the postmaster went on record as saying that it was time for the USPS to tap into that market for the revenue it would generate and they are now considering it for 2014.

As for "no real market for old American whiskey", I don't know what part of the country Mike's from, but I can assure you, the market is alive and well where I am from and has been for some time. While I have more of an interest in drinking the stuff than collecting it, there are at least couple of venues online where collectors buy and sell all the time. It's a thriving market.
Danial

Unread postby fishnbowljoe » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:37 pm

Danial wrote:
bourbonv wrote:From time to time people will show up at this forum simply to find out how much their old bottle is worth and how to sell it. I think this would be a good place to discuss this question in some detail.

The short answer to the question is simply - Your bottle is worth whatever you can convince someone to give you for it.

There is no real market for old American whiskey for several reasons. The first is that it is illegal to sell alcohol without a license.

Mike Veach

This is my first post here, so I hope this doesn't come off as spam but I would like to address this old post from Mr. Veach. Contrary to popular belief, it is legal to ship adult beverages through UPS and Fed-Ex. And the USPS is now strongly considering allowing the same for private individuals. In August, the postmaster went on record as saying that it was time for the USPS to tap into that market for the revenue it would generate and they are now considering it for 2014.

As for "no real market for old American whiskey", I don't know what part of the country Mike's from, but I can assure you, the market is alive and well where I am from and has been for some time. While I have more of an interest in drinking the stuff than collecting it, there are at least couple of venues online where collectors buy and sell all the time. It's a thriving market.

It doesn't matter whether or not there is a market for older American whiskey. It's only legal to ship alcohol if you have a license. Most people don't have a license. So, if you don't have a license, it is therefore illegal. That's one of the reasons ebay decided to curtail selling "collectible" bottles where the contents were only incidental, and not intended for consumption. It's also the reason other sites have been shut down that were for selling and trading of alcohol. Yes, people still find ways around the rules. People will always find a way around rules. Still, the places/websites out there that deal strictly in this sort of venture, whether private or not, will probably eventually be found out, and shut down also. That is, unless the rules of the game change.
"The only bad bourbon, is the one you didn't have."

Please drink responsibly
fishnbowljoe

Unread postby Squire » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:15 pm

Yes, it's legal for the shipper to ship it, but:

Unless the seller has the proper Federal, State and Local licenses to sell liquor where they reside it's illegal for them to sell it, and,

In most jurisdictions it is a violation of State and Local laws to receive it.

It's all rather silly really, and has more to do with collecting taxes with a bit of social engineering thrown in, but there it is and just because a lot of people break the law every day is no defense to joining their ranks.
Squire

Unread postby crappie_fisherman » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:55 pm

When I picked up my Four Roses 125th Anniversary bottles out in Cali when I was on business...I had to figure out how to get them home.

My choices (I thought) were to ship them USPS, UPS or FedEx or pack them in my CHECKED baggage on Delta.

After calling USPS, UPS and FedEx...and learning I could NOT ship liquor with them...my only choice became my checked baggage...when I called Delta they told me my bags were insured for $3500 for damage and loss and to simply have the receipt and pictures of what was inside...I was more worried about theft than breakage...but then again...TSA can always OPEN a bag to inspect and would they repackage it the SAME way I had it initially packaged to prevent damage?...

Good news is that my bottles made it back to Indiana SAFE!

Point being...I personally CALLED all three places (USPS, UPS and FedEx) and was specifically told I could not LEGALLY ship them...now I could obviously pack the box and LIE about what was in there but the danger there is that if the package was lost or damaged...I was on my own...and I don't LIE...so I packed them in my baggage and reluctantly trusted TSA and the Delta gorillas...it was the ONLY legal way for me to do it.
crappie_fisherman

Unread postby ridahog » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:08 pm

I have two unopened bottles of Barrows' Grand Reserve Rum in Mint condition. Still has the cigars in them. One is a blue label and the other is a red label. I heard that they are no longer in business and was wondering if they are worth anything to keep or should I indulge myself and drink them.
ridahog

Unread postby ben200proof » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:02 pm

Any takers on bottle of very very old fitzgerald? 1951/1963 upper shoulder and in collectors case with shot glasses. Let me know and we can discuss further.
ben200proof

Unread postby Zophis » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:52 pm

Hi, I am trying to figure out the approximate value or a bottle of Bourbon that was given to me by a friend. First off the bottle is still sealed, the seal is intact and unbroken. The brand is Old Forester from the year 1967, distilled in 1962 i believe. So that makes it like 48 yrs old. It is a very fancy pretty bottle. The bottle says bond on it, so that means the bourbon is bonded I believe. It is 4/5 quarts. Can anyone give me an approximate value?? Or point me in the right direction so maybe I figure this thing out. Any help at all would be great. I do accept Paypal if there is anyone is interested. Please help! Thanks in advance.

OldForester1967 007.JPG
OldForester1967 007.JPG (84.64 KiB) Viewed 20736 times
Zophis

Unread postby Zophis » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:27 pm

OldForester1967 007.JPG
OldForester1967 007.JPG (84.64 KiB) Viewed 20736 times
Can someone give me an idea of the worth of this bourbon. It's Old Forester 1967 bonded bourbon 4/5 quarts. Distilled in 1962. Very fancy bottle. The seal is in intact so it has never been opened. If anyone is interested you can make an offer. Thanks.
Zophis

Unread postby basch » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:27 pm

Hey guys, does anybody know when this old fitz was distilled? Seems to be an export version, haven't any pictures or information about this bottling, especially this kind of bottle shape.

Many thanks

basch

Unread postby Beirn » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:31 am

Hello everyone. I just picked up 3 bottles of Elmer T Lee Single Barrel when I was in Detroit for work.

I remember it costing me 100 USD even when I found a singular bottle outside of Louisville Kentucky.

I noticed online that it is impossible if not hard to find for a dime under many sites.

I paid 50 dollars a bottle for it this week in Detroit and plan on saving it all for myself.

I am curious what the going rate for a bottle is at this point is however. I also wonder if the price stands to drop or increase within the next year.

I did some reading and Buffalo Trace dispelled rumors of Elmer T Lees death resulting in the shortage. They claimed his heirs were on board for allowing them to continue production and that any rumors associated were untrue.

If anyone can educate me on the valuation and situation regarding Buffalo Trace and its production of Elmer T Lee I would greatly appreciate it.
Beirn

Previous

Return to Collector's Corner