Sierra Nevada

One bourbon, one scotch, one beer! Talk about brews you've liked or disliked here.

Moderator: Squire

Sierra Nevada

Unread postby butephoto » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:40 pm

Hi from a new guy. I have been recently trying some Sierra Nevada beers and really, really like what those guys are doing. I have been able to get hold of both the porter and the pale ale but I'd like to know what your favourite is if I am to try and track down some more here (Scotland).

Thanks in advance.
butephoto

Re: Sierra Nevada

Unread postby Mike » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:43 pm

I like all the SN beers too, but my favorite is Celebration Ale. It is seasonal, arriving in the fall of each year. Just found some of this year's and it is as good as ever. I make beer on occasion and the best I ever made was a Celebraiton Ale knock off. By the way, one of my favorite beers is McEwan's Scottish Ale.......dark, rich, creamy, potent...........a meal in a bottle!

I don't know about CA availability in the UK, maybe their website will tell. SN also makes a summer ale, a barleywine (very highly hopped), and a Stout, all of which are excellent.

I went to the web site in your post and enjoyed the reviews of American Whiskey. You guys find some different aromas and tastes than us Yanks do, but your reviewers know good whiskey when they smell and taste it.

I was a Scotch drinker before I started into serious Bourbon drinking and still have a sip from time to time. I like the Aberlour Cask Strength Batch 12 (A'bunadh is it?), the Ardbeg Uigeadail 54.2%, and the Macallen Cask Strength too........I don't remember the vintage of the Mac and I finished the bottle and need to get another. All are very reasonably priced at around $50 here in Georgia, USA.

I also am a big fan of Macallen 15 YO Fine Oak, the 12 YO Balvenie Double Wood, Highland Park 15 YO, Bowmore Darkest Islay (a bargain), and I like Lagavulin 16 YO (but it has become too dear and would take too much money from my bourbon budget), etc., etc.,.........and I like Johnny Walker Black and Famous Grouse quite well among the blends.

Welcome to the site, if you're of a mind to (and drink it), post some of your impressions of our whiskies along with your take on some other American Beers if they are available to you.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby Brewer » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:12 pm

I am also a fan of Sierra Nevada beer. Their Pale Ale is my "go to" beer. Very nice, any time of the year. As Mike said, the Celebration Ale is also terrific especially during the cold winter months. I've had their Harvest Ale a couple of times and enjoyed it a lot. I've seen a "Torpedo Extra IPA" at my local beer place, but haven't had the pleasure of tasting it yet. SN's website notes indicate that the Torpedo has the same amount of bittering units as the Celebration (65), but a higher alcohol content (7.2 vs. 6.8 ABV). I'd say you can't go wrong with Sierra Nevada if you enjoy a good brew.

I also like Single Malts now and then. I've enjoyed a few drams of a private cask Springbank that friends and I purchased. The Islay malts are my favored Scotch profile though.
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby Dump Bucket » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:41 pm

I dig there every Thursday night Cask beer. Well worth the drive to see them if you are near...
"What I do I do because I like to do." Alex DeLarge ACWO
Dump Bucket
Bourbon Head
Bourbon Head

Unread postby DeanSheen » Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:07 pm

Even better news for you in Europe is that Stone Brewing is working on setting up operations across the pond.

A far superior California brewer who is going beyond contract brewing and long ship times to bring you fresh beer goodness.

I pretty much avoid Sierra Nevada. It will do in a pinch, but in my opinion is one of the weaker of the US micros. I did pick up an ESB this Spring that was not too bad, but never bought another 6.

http://www.sierranevada.com/beers/esb.html
--- Robert in meatspace. (NE OH)
DeanSheen

Unread postby Brewer » Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:07 am

DeanSheen,

I'm curious as to other US micros you like in contrast to Sierra Nevada. As you say, Stone Brewing makes some very fine beer.

Regarding SN, I picked up their Torpedo Extra IPA yesterday and will be trying it over the next few days. I'll relay my impressions.
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby DeanSheen » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:35 am

Rogue and Founders are two easy ones off the top of my head.

Here in Cleveland I have access to tons of micros and imports so I pretty much have my pick of the litter.
DeanSheen

Unread postby Brewer » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:25 pm

DeanSheen wrote:Rogue and Founders are two easy ones off the top of my head.

Yes, I'd agree again that Rogue is also another one of the many good micros or imports that I've had. I don't think that I've had Founders though.

I bought some Stone Ruination IPA a few days back, and it is a very well made, with lots of flavor (a big dose of hops and malt). The downside to me is that it is way over-priced. I am glad I tried it though. The Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA was lighter in body than the Stone, but for half the price, I think it is a better buy. It too has good malt flavor with lots of hops & as I had previously noted, at 7.2% ABV, it is no light-weight beer. I remain a fan of Sierra Nevada, along with many other well made brews that are out there. We're lucky to have access to such a variety of beers: there's pretty much something out there to suit differing taste buds.
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby DeanSheen » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:53 pm

Stone Ruination is my favorite Stone, but yeah, prices have gone through the roof the past few years on that prodcut. I think a 6 is now $14 in Ohio.

OTOH the regular Stone IPA is becoming very easy to find here on tap and that is an exceptional draft.

I was just in Sheffield, UK and they are carrying Arrogant Bastard on tap now, but were all sold out so it's doing well.
DeanSheen

Unread postby Martian » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:05 pm

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is one of my favorites, particularly in summer.
Martian

Return to What Ales You