Gotta love those ales

One bourbon, one scotch, one beer! Talk about brews you've liked or disliked here.

Moderator: Squire

Gotta love those ales

Unread postby Brewer » Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:58 pm

Well its about time we can chat about one of my favorite beverages! :wink: There's so much to talk about, I wonder where to begin...so I'll let everyone know my basic preferences. I prefer ales over lagers; I do not consider Bud, Miller, Coors etc to even be beer, although I know it (techincally) is. I am very fond of hoppy brews, such as the IPA style, and I also like the less hoppy Pale Ales. During the summer time, I really like Wheat beers, which I find very thirst quenching. My long time favorite is Celis White beer. The history of Celis is that he (Pierre Celis) worked at the Hoeggarden brewery in Belgium, then moved to Austin Texas and started his own brewery. He chose Austin due to the minerally rich water, that was similiar to that found at Hoeggarden. So for years, he was an independently owned micro-brewery. Some years ago, Miller bought a majority position of the company, then bought Pierre out completely. Within a short period of time, Miller closed 'em down. There's another reason to hate Miller Not-So High Life! :evil: Anyway, last year I found out from Mr. Doubleblank that Celis was once again available and was being brewed in Michigan. For some reason, it was available in Texas, and Randy brought me a bunch of Celis for last years Bourbon Festival, for which I was very grateful. In about 3 weeks, a friend of mine has family coming to NY from Michigan, and they've been told to leave all suitcases and other typical travelling stuff home and bring as much Celis as the vehicle will hold. I think that kids will be riding on the roof, the dog will be strapped to the hood, the wife'll be riding on the trunk, just so we can get some Celis here in NY!

So, plan on seeing a bunch of posts from me here regarding beer. Once upon a time, I had a newsletter called Malt Madness, from which I'll be referring to many of the great beers I've had from all over the country. This will be FUN! :D
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby Jeffrey Lebowski » Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:14 pm

Bob, I share your tastes for Wheat beers in the summer. Not very familiar with the Belgian Wits aside from Celis and Hoegaarden, but I do love a good hefeweizen on a hot day. Paulaner, Franziskaner and Schneider-Weisse are all readily available here and they are all wonderful.

Drank the occasional Celis in the mid '90s and it was very good. Was Miller involved at that point? I haven't seen the latest incarnation, but will keep an eye out for it.
Jeffrey Lebowski

Unread postby Brewer » Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:30 pm

Actually Jeffrey, Miller's involvement began in 1995. I'll have to check on the time-line for the dates of initial involvement to Miller's destruction of this great product. BTW, Celis started up in Austin in '91.
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby sevenmag » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:23 pm

The Brew Pub here had one of the best Heffewiezen's I've ever had this year. Couldn't get enough of it. I took my dad down there for Father's day, (took everyone really) and we put a serious hurtin on the stuff. It's been a long time since we sat down and had a few and swapped stories. What a great day.

Anyway, I'm big porter, stout fan. Sierra Nevada Porter is one of my favs, and of course the Brew Pub has as good a stout as can be had anywhere.

Love RedHook ESB, Hoegarden, Samuel Adams, Taddy Porter, and when I'm out for dinner it's usually Killians. I do like it fine and down here in the deep south it's the only thing in most places that's not Milbudcoors light.
sevenmag

Return to What Ales You