How to adjust to the bitterness of beer

One bourbon, one scotch, one beer! Talk about brews you've liked or disliked here.

Moderator: Squire

How to adjust to the bitterness of beer

Unread postby GBrough » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:29 am

As the topic states i can't seem to enjoy a beer, it is to bitter and to my palate lacks non of the complexity i find in bourbon or single malt scotch this in itself could stem from going from wine to bourbon and never exploring what this great drink has to offer.

Any tips on how to get used to the bitterness would be appreciated, i really want to give this category of drinks a chance.
“A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
GBrough

Re: How to adjust to the bitterness of beer

Unread postby EllenJ » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:16 am

Just don't eat that yellow snow. :D
And don't drink that yellow beer, either.

There's nothing wrong with "yellow" per se, but beer with any flavor at all (not like Bud, Miller, Coors, for example) tend be German lagers and Pilseners and the bitterness is much appreciated by those who enjoy them.

Also, definitely avoid most American craft/microbrew pale ales and IPAs and such. Bitterness and hop flavor are key elements of the American Ale style. English dark ales, if you can find them, tend to be more malt-forward. Porter (English, not American) might be just what you're looking for. You might also enjoy Newcastle Brown Ale, which is usually readily available.

Most importantly, you should remember that your appreciation of beer is greatly enhanced by exploring its many varieties and styles.
That is pretty similar to the situation with whiskey, as well. So, if you decided to go that route, be prepared for a long, interesting, and rather addictive journey. Probably more so than with whiskey, since beer is much less costly.
=JOHN=
(the "Jaye" part of "L 'n' J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
EllenJ

Unread postby GBrough » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:58 pm

The main issue is the amount of liquid in a beer i can't seem to adjust to it.
“A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
GBrough

Unread postby Wasatch » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:52 pm

There are over 100 different styles of beers out there. Keep looking. Beer is an acquired taste.
Cheers!
Wasatch

Unread postby Squire » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:06 pm

"And Malt does more than Milton can,
To justify God's ways to Man"

A.E. Housman
Squire

Unread postby Mike » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:43 pm

You might like to try some of the Belgian beers, they range from heavy to light, and some are quite fruity, and, are not usually that hoppy. Try some of the English beers too, like the Oatmeal Stouts (try Samuel Smiths), or Bass Ale (I have always liked this beer for its wonderful maltiness) which tend to be a bit on the sweet side and slide down so easily.

I am about beer like I am about sprits (bourbon, scotch, cognac, other brandies, tequila, and any others), I like pretty much all the varieties of beer, including the super hoppy ones (e.g. Sierra Nevada BIG FOOT).
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby GBrough » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:39 pm

Mike wrote:You might like to try some of the Belgian beers, they range from heavy to light, and some are quite fruity, and, are not usually that hoppy. Try some of the English beers too, like the Oatmeal Stouts (try Samuel Smiths), or Bass Ale (I have always liked this beer for its wonderful maltiness) which tend to be a bit on the sweet side and slide down so easily.

I am about beer like I am about sprits (bourbon, scotch, cognac, other brandies, tequila, and any others), I like pretty much all the varieties of beer, including the super hoppy ones (e.g. Sierra Nevada BIG FOOT).

I had a great belgium ale/beer it was fruity and complex but the amount of liquid got to me, still all of your advice is helpful, now to figure out what is a good first time cigar to pair with my bourbon and scotch.
GBrough

Unread postby RandyG » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:27 pm

Try Guiness Lager. Don't let the black look fool you. It's a very smooth beer.

Cheers,
RG
RandyG

Unread postby Satty Beach » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:59 pm

If you need a beer, you need a beer. If you don't need a beer, you don't need a beer. It's really simple unless you need to overthink every problem.
Taken the cure.
Satty Beach

Return to What Ales You