Whisky Investment

Love bourbon but still enjoy an occasional foreign whisky pour as well? Discuss some of your favorites here.

Moderator: Squire

Whisky Investment

Unread postby kris1985 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:40 am

Please can anyone advise if they invest in The Whisky Market? This is something i am looking to do as it interests me and i have been reading up about it but i would like some advice of any experts out there! Thank you
kris1985

Re: Whisky Investment

Unread postby WhiskeyCollector » Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:27 pm

I'm no expert and I collect whiskey more because I like it rather than for just an investment. But a lot of the bottles I have do seem to have gone up in value. It's all about supply and demand, as long as people like and want whiskey the prices will stay up there. In the 1970's people didn't like whiskey as much and you could hardly even give it away. If those times come back and whiskey loses popularity, you could lose a lot of your investment especially if you don't drink so be careful not to go overboard.
You need to figure out what kind of whisky you like best and want to collect/invest in and then learn as much about it as you can.
The ones that seem to hold their value and even gain value the best are the ones most in demand like uncommon or hard to get old-aged single malts and straight whiskeys, not so much blended whiskeys or young whiskeys.
Of course special or limited releases can be a great investment too. Any bottle that's hard to find but in high demand can be collectable. Some of the most expensive bottles are very old aged Scotch(like aged for 20 or more years before being bottled) and rare old dusty bottles that are still full and sealed. It helps to find good local shops and become a regular customer, get to know the owner and spend some money there regularly. Let them know you are looking for some special bottles and they might even help you to get some. If you like older bottles there are several auction houses that regularly hold auctions for old bottles and you can even bid by phone. I've even found several 100-year old pre-prohibition bottles for very little money at yard sales and antique shows that I've had appraised for $1,500+ per bottle. There's some informative youtube videos on the subject too....
www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2-hF3aW4TA
www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9j0gf9dbbc
WhiskeyCollector

Return to Scotch Whisky