Buying Casks

Love bourbon but still enjoy an occasional foreign whisky pour as well? Discuss some of your favorites here.

Moderator: Squire

Buying Casks

Unread postby kris1985 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:54 am

Please can all of the wonderful experts in this forum advise some of the best places to purchase filled casks of Scottish Malt Whisky in the UK? Thank you in advance.
kris1985

Re: Buying Casks

Unread postby beerNbourbon » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:40 pm

I searched online a bit recently. From my figures, the math doesn't work out. The price per bottle of even the lowest price Scotch distillery that advertise they do this wound up being more than I could buy it for. The issues stem from all the fees you wind up having to fork over, not the Scotch itself. There's UK tax, bottling, shipping, and then you may wind up paying more tax in your home state / country.

And then there's the elephant in the room; what if the cask you choose doesn't wind up being great in 8, 12, 15, or even 25 years? Some casks are outstanding and make it into some great cask strength whisky. Some casks are so-so and wind up going into the standard bottlings and sent to blenders. What if you wind up with a so-so (or worse) cask? Do you really want several cases of whisky you really don't like? I am not positive that a nose is going to be able to tell the difference in one white whiskey cask and another and select a good one for you. The location in the warehouse / rickhouse is bound to have some effect on the final product but not nearly as much as it would for bourbon or Tennessee whiskey or almost anything else made in the Southern USA.

If you find out more information, please post. I'm still interested in getting / sharing a cask some day! Good luck!
beerNbourbon

Return to Scotch Whisky