Thanksgiving themed scotch

Love bourbon but still enjoy an occasional foreign whisky pour as well? Discuss some of your favorites here.

Moderator: Squire

Thanksgiving themed scotch

Unread postby GBrough » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:08 pm

As the question states what is a good thanksgiving scotch, one that will capture the flavours of the season. I was thinking something sherried, we want to impress out relatives with something that is not glenfiddich 15 or an islay (much to my chagrin).
“A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
GBrough

Re: Thanksgiving themed scotch

Unread postby gundog » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:52 pm

I have a bottle of Aberlour double cask matured 12 year setting in the wings for Thanksgiving. Might give it a try, it is verrry good.
gundog

Unread postby Landrum » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:05 pm

If I were you and I wanted a sherried scotch for Thanksgiving or Christmas, I would give a close look at Glenfarclas. You should be able to locate the 10, 12, 17 or 21 year old versions easily enough. That's what I would do. In fact, I am going to buy a bottle of 21 yo for this Christmas.
Landrum

Unread postby GaryV » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:49 pm

Since it's Thanksgiving, any chance of doing an American whiskey? I was thinking maybe Elmer T. Lee would be a nice selection or even a finished bourbon like Angel's Envy
GaryV

Unread postby GBrough » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:52 am

GaryV wrote:Since it's Thanksgiving, any chance of doing an American whiskey? I was thinking maybe Elmer T. Lee would be a nice selection or even a finished bourbon like Angel's Envy

Same, i view bourbon as a nicely polished drink perfect for anytime. Maybe angels envy would be good but it would have to be sweeter i think so we could have a drink after some ham and turkey.
“A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
GBrough

Unread postby RandyG » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:25 am

My vote would be Aberlour A'bunadh (Scotch) or Wild Turkey Rare Breed (Bourbon).

RG
RandyG

Unread postby GBrough » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:34 pm

RandyG wrote:My vote would be Aberlour A'bunadh (Scotch) or Wild Turkey Rare Breed (Bourbon).

RG

Both good RandyG we see eye to eye on most bourbons, my family that we see does not get along with me so maybe next year they will get something good from me as for this year a malbec should be good enough to show that care.
GBrough

Unread postby Ettore » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:28 pm

RandyG wrote:My vote would be Aberlour A'bunadh (Scotch) or Wild Turkey Rare Breed (Bourbon).

RG

Good suggestions. Both are favs of mine!
Ettore

Unread postby jneyer05 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:37 pm

I have a bottle of Rock Hill farms that I bought about a month ago that I vowed not to open until Thanksgiving. Maybe that would go well.
jneyer05

Unread postby Squire » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:46 pm

Rock Hill Farms would be my choice.
Squire

Unread postby GBrough » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:38 pm

All excellent choice, thanks everyone and have a great thanksgiving as for me i work till 4 that evening so i can get one step closer to graduating as an MA.
GBrough

Return to Scotch Whisky