Laphroaig or Lagavulin

Love bourbon but still enjoy an occasional foreign whisky pour as well? Discuss some of your favorites here.

Moderator: Squire

Re: Laphroaig or Lagavulin

Unread postby vince » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:23 am

thomas15 wrote:
Landrum wrote:I could be wrong on this but I have heard that Finlaggan is young Lagavulin.

If you want to try a true Peat Monster, go for the Cask Laphroaig.

Both are very good whiskies and you really can't go wrong with either.

I have comments/questions regarding Islay Scotch. I wanted to try an Islay and after reading numerous reviews and consulting Ralfy.com and others, settled on Laphroaig 10 year (standard offering). I haven't tried it yet. My expectation is that it is somewhat of a peat monster but a good drinkable example of an Islay. Are my expectations in line with reality?

I also have a bottle of Highland Park 12 year. How would experienced scotch drinkers compare the two ( Laphroaig/Highland Park)? Another question, I have tried Glenlivet 12 year as an example of entry level Speyside. Actually I like it but would also like to try something a little more complex and less mainstream but at roughly the same price point. Any suggestions?

The Highland Park is going to give you a little bit of everything. It has a nice peat flavor but the peat is much more subdued. I would definitely start with that one. Laphroig is a peat monster, its very medicinal in taste and after you have a dram of that your palate will be "off" when experiencing the Highland Park. Both very good whisky's but very different.
vince

Previous

Return to Scotch Whisky