Opinions about scotch

Love bourbon but still enjoy an occasional foreign whisky pour as well? Discuss some of your favorites here.

Moderator: Squire

Re: Opinions about scotch

Unread postby Squire » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:46 pm

Around here the local shops seem to mark it up as high as they think they might get on the theory that if it doesn't move they can always mark it down.
Squire

Unread postby GBrough » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:25 pm

I cannot wait to open up my bottle of glenlivet nadura after the end of this week. I had quite the weekend we played a dumb game with dice and alcohol that makes me feel sick to think about it.
“A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
GBrough

Unread postby RandyG » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:04 pm

I tried the Nadura a few weeks ago with my dad and it is a very good pour. I especially like that it is 110 proof.

Enjoy,
RG
RandyG

Unread postby GBrough » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:01 pm

I got a bottle of ardbeg 10, it is fantastic
“A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
GBrough

Unread postby GBrough » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:06 pm

Has anyone here had the ADR Bowmore 14
GBrough

Unread postby RandyG » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:43 pm

Finally picked up an Ardbeg Corryvrecken. Haven't tried it yet, but soon.
RandyG

Unread postby GBrough » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:40 am

RandyG wrote:Finally picked up an Ardbeg Corryvrecken. Haven't tried it yet, but soon.

I have heard great things about it, my next pick up is bunnahabhain, or ardbeg corryvreycken or uigaudial
GBrough

Unread postby RandyG » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:43 pm

Well, curiosity got the best of me. Friday night was scheduled to be a bourbon night but I wanted to taste the Corryvrecken first. Was so good, I stayed with it for the majority of the evening. Not quite as thick and oily as Laphroaig Cask and tastes a little hotter. I think I like it better. Really good poor. Love the high proof.

RG
RandyG

Unread postby GBrough » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:48 am

I found laphroaig to be kind of grassy in the mid-palate.
GBrough

Unread postby RandyG » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:11 am

I liken the Corryvrecken to Lagavulin 16YO on steroids. Very Good, and currently my favorite high proof scotch.

RG
RandyG

Unread postby GBrough » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:43 pm

If I get the chance corrvreycken, bowmore 15 darkest, uigadiel or lagavulin is my purchase this weekend
GBrough

Unread postby GBrough » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:37 am

Had me some corrvreycken, very good a bit hot on the palate. It is quite a mystery to me, the heat over powered me.
GBrough

Unread postby RandyG » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:10 am

I love cask strength whiskys/whiskeys. The biggest reason being that I can take a smaller sip and still get everything the whiskey has to offer. With these pours, I take smaller sips, and let it mingle in the mouth longer, rolling it all around before finishing the sip. I found this helps tame these high proofers a bit. It also seems to make the finish last longer.

Cheers,
RG
RandyG

Unread postby GBrough » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:24 pm

I love the corrvreycken, now i want to try bruichladdich laddie classic.
GBrough

Unread postby GBrough » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:26 pm

I am upset, ever since i had an islay i find bourbon's to be too sweet, even my fiery bourbons are lacking.
GBrough

PreviousNext

Return to Scotch Whisky