Opinions about scotch

Love bourbon but still enjoy an occasional foreign whisky pour as well? Discuss some of your favorites here.

Moderator: Squire

Re: Opinions about scotch

Unread postby GBrough » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:03 pm

Mike wrote:
GBrough wrote:How about bowmore 12

I have a decided taste for Bowmore's Darkest Islay, which is not as expensive as many Single Malt Scotchs, and probably in the price range of the Bowmore 12 YO.

But, my next Scotch purchase WILL be Lagavulin 16 YO......... the best of the best (my opinion) of the smoky Scotchs. I think it usually sells in the $80 range.

Mike if you get lucky hit costco, they have it for 69.99 if i recall correctly.
“A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
GBrough

Unread postby GBrough » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:23 pm

Had finlaggan for my first islay.
“A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
GBrough

Unread postby RandyG » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:11 pm

Looks like Mike beat me to it. I'm pretty new to Scotch but the Lagavulin 16 sits right at the top of my list. Wish I could get my hands on the cask strength variation. Highland 12 is nice, but not quite in the same league (or price range) as the Lagavulin IMO.
RG
RandyG

Unread postby Landrum » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:01 pm

No doubt that Lagavulin is good. Pretty damned good, in fact! But I must say that for the money, it's hard to beat Highland Park 12. Of course, we are talking about two completely different styles of Scotch whisky. I love Islay whisky and there's nothing quite like it so comparing costs is not really part of the equation. I figure that most of us on this site will plunk down the cash (or the demon plastic), within reason, for whatever we're in the mood for at any particular time.

Speaking of parting with cash. Just this evening I was pleasantly surprised to find a bottle of Highland Park 18 for just $74.99, before taxes. It's usually anywhere from $96 to $120 around these parts, depending on which stores one frequents. I also left the store with a sample bottle of Jack Daniel's Single Barrel. A nice haul.
Landrum

Unread postby Squire » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:01 pm

About $70 here but even on sale not much less elsewhere.
Squire

Unread postby GBrough » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:00 pm

That finlaggen scared my fathers palate, but I sure do enjoy the smoke.

Picked up a bottle of the 18 year old johnny walker gold label at costco, in a word it is interesting and it seems to be slightly peaty.
GBrough

Unread postby GBrough » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:54 pm

So what is this about glenfiddich 15 year is it worth the money it is 45.99 in my area before tax. I picked up a bottle of Glenlivet Nadura this weekend and i cannot wait to crack it open. In other news my next scotch is lagavulin 16 year if i can find it at costco if not another bottle of directors edition because i love it but i am waiting for my brother to turn 21 before enjoying the bottle i got for my 21st.
GBrough

Unread postby Landrum » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:08 pm

The Glenfiddich 15 y.o. is interesting in that they use the solera process for aging the whisky. Unfortunately, I believe they bottle it at 40%. I would go for it if I were you. And as far as scotch is concerned, at 15 years and $45 +/-, it's a bargain. If nothing else it is another step in a whisk(e)y education.

By the way, ask the clerk at your favorite liquor store if they can get in some 50ml sample bottles. That way you can try a broader range of whiskies without having to plunk down so much cash.
Landrum

Unread postby GBrough » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:57 pm

Bevmo charges 10 bucks for each sample bottle, while the arran was fantastic and a real treat i dont like airline bottles.
GBrough

Unread postby Landrum » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:00 am

I love the little bottles. I don't think I would love them so much, though, for $10 a pop. Wow!
Landrum

Unread postby GBrough » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:29 am

Landrum wrote:I love the little bottles. I don't think I would love them so much, though, for $10 a pop. Wow!

Yea,it is not worth it i might as well see what everyone says and base my palate off of their words.
GBrough

Unread postby ebo » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:32 pm

I like the Bowmore Tempest. Too bad I only have about one more pour left. :(
ebo

Unread postby RandyG » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:19 am

Another pour that's right up there with the Lagavulin is the Glendronach 15YO. Really good and about the same price as the Laggy.

RG
RandyG

Unread postby GBrough » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:10 pm

glendronach is hard to find in my area, but i will have to check old doc's to see if they carry it.
GBrough

Unread postby Landrum » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:05 pm

Squire

Re: price of HP 18 y.o., I have since found it for $70, but most all the shops that I frequent have it priced around $96+.

This is something I've noticed with Scotch around here (southern U.S.) You go to one shop and, for example, Caol Ila 12 is $72. Then you go to another and it's $55. A bottle of Macallan Cask Strength is $55 at one shop and $85 at another. These shops are all over the place with their pricing on Scotch. Bourbon, on the other hand, is usually within $5, or less, just about every where you go. It makes me wonder if the shop owners are just on a fishing expedition or if they truly don't know where to price different Scotches and just name a price.
Landrum

PreviousNext

Return to Scotch Whisky