Opinions about scotch

Love bourbon but still enjoy an occasional foreign whisky pour as well? Discuss some of your favorites here.

Moderator: Squire

Re: Opinions about scotch

Unread postby GBrough » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:15 am

What is your feel about caol ila 12
“A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
GBrough

Unread postby GBrough » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:38 am

or talisker 10, in my area they are around 60 bucks a pop
“A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
GBrough

Unread postby GBrough » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:10 pm

So i got hold of the laddie ten and i am impressed.
GBrough

Unread postby Duewester » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:55 pm

I prefer the Speyside whiskies myself. McClellands is my go to for Speyside SM Scotch. However, I have topped off more Glenfiddich than any other SM Scotch.
Duewester

Unread postby GBrough » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:36 pm

I prefer Islay or coastal drams myself, the brine is comforting to me. Still at times the softness of a speysider is nice.
GBrough

Unread postby fenderbender4 » Thu May 05, 2016 5:38 pm

I may get flamed for this as a "bourbon" forum, but to me scotch single malts are more complex than bourbons I've tried. I think the variance of flavors what makes me believe it has more complexity. That said, bourbon hits all the notes it does at a level that scotch whiskeys can't/don't compete with. I'd say they are different things really, but if someone were to present me with, "I want super complexity.", I'd suggest scotch-land.

I can't really do the Islay/Island whiskeys myself, way too much of the peat, brine, and iodine for my palate. I do think Highland Park has a great balance though. Kind of like the "Greatest Hits" compilation of the various scotch regions. Probably not for people who absolutely loathe smoke and peat but for someone wanting to explore I think the 12 is a great value. I was lucky enough to have a pour of the 18 at a bar. Also had Redbreast 15 and Midleton Very Rare (tasted a LOT like a bourbon to me).

Just starting to explore Japanese whiskeys. I scored a bottle of Nikka Takketsuru 17 recently. Wanting to find some Hibiki 17. I will say, with the prices that bourbon is commanding, there are all of a sudden LOTS of Scotch, Irish, and Japanese/Asian whiskeys that start to become the same price that I would recommend just for the level of quality. Bourbon always has a special place in my heart though.
fenderbender4

Unread postby Squire » Thu May 05, 2016 10:25 pm

Thoughtful post fender.
Squire

Previous

Return to Scotch Whisky