Avo Signature and Kentucky Spirit Review

Fire one up and talk about your favorite smokes here.

Moderator: Squire

Avo Signature and Kentucky Spirit Review

Unread postby bourbonv » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:38 am

Yesterday I had the pleasure of sharing some bourbon and smoking some cigars with Linn, St. Ima Bunghole himself. He brought me some very fine cigars and and I shared some very good bourbons so it was a great day for both of us. Sittting under the shade tree in my backyard with a pitcher of ice water and some bourbons, Linn suggested I do a cigar, bourbon review. Here it is for what it is worth.

Cigar: Avo Signature Longsdale 44 ring by 6 inches, aged 3 years in Linns humidor.
Review of cigar before bourbon: A nice light and mild smoke but still flavorfull with a little pepper spice and a a nice freshly baled hay taste - a clean outdoor on a hot summer day type hay, not something sitting in the barn for the winter. The cigar had a very good draw with an even burn and plenty of smoke. I liked it.

Bourbon: Kentucky Spirit single barrel bottled 6-5-05, Barrel 1 from warehouse E.
Taste: Rich caramel and apple fruit with some sweet spices and a long caramel finish.

Bourbon and cigar together: The smoke from the cigar brings out the caramel in the bourbon making the Kentucky Spirit taste like a caramel toffee at the first sip, but the alchemy of the smoke with the finish of the bourbon was that the finish was long and sweet in a good way with more complex spice flavors in the mouth witha rich caramel background. An excellent combination.

Notes: This is a very good pairing. The cigar by itself was very nice but mild and unassuming on the palate, but when paired with the Kentucky Spirit, it made the angels dance on the tounge.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Avo

Unread postby bourbonguyjapan » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:13 pm

I paired an Avo with Maker's on one occasion, and Laphroic on another. Not sure which Avo (one seal is chocolate brown, silver, black, white) and the other Avo is orange, gold, black. Needless to say both went well with the pairings.

Avo is a good smoke.

Frank
bourbonguyjapan

Re: Avo Signature and Kentucky Spirit Review

Unread postby rayor » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:30 am

I paired AVO Natural #2 with Black & White Scotch blended whiskey....got a good mix of flavors...

would like to try AVO Maduro Belicoso...has anybody tried it?
rayor

Return to The Humidor