My Days at Kinsey Distillery

There's a lot of history and 'lore' behind bourbon so discuss both here.

Moderator: Squire

Re: My Days at Kinsey Distillery

Unread postby bourbonv » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:26 pm

Putting on my archivist hat here, You really should encourage the owners of the property to gather these papers and donate them to a historical archive in the area. These things should be preserved and kept in an enviroment that will aid their preservation, but more importantly, make them available to the public for research. I am not familiar with the institutions in the Philadelphia area, but surely there would be one that would be happy to take the papers into their collection. Distilling papers are often lost due to neglect and end up in a land fill somewhere.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby Kinsey Worker » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:13 pm

I hate to say this Mike but the Man who owns the Place does not give a dam about anything and that is why I go in there to what i can while it can be saved. When Publicker sold it to him in 1980 they leasted the Bottling House a warehouse and all the tankage. They were bottling Anitfreeze and detergents and other stuff thinking they could with their plants in Phila become like P&G and then He broke their Lease just before they went under by raising it way up. Then When they Closed he shut everything off walked away for more then 22 years now. I have read he is one of the Meanest People in New York city so asking him to save stuff would be that He would rather punish people coming there then save History.

So I will continue to save things and One day will find homes for them in the types of places you have said I have already left papers wittnessed with my Will that all distillery stuff must go to muesums. The papers I posted were laying on the floor with junk. I am so glad i saved them. The Man I talked to that helped run Publicker was himself wishing He could have the Place and do something with it but the guy that owns it wants a ton and is very bad to deal with. He got the Place because of Mr Neuman dieing and the People that bought their way in by stock to force a takeover.

So Mike It is a sad story with a bright stop in that I have made my mind up if it can be saved i will save what I can. In school as a young Man I thirsted for History and this plant and Publicker in phila are as Historic as you can get in pa!
BE WELL Mike
Dave Z
-------------------------------------------------------
Kinsey The Unhurried Whiskey
For Unhurried Moments
Kinsey The Genial Gin
Join The Swing To Kinsey
----------------------------------------------------------
Kinsey Worker

Unread postby mozilla » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:24 pm

The tax records show that the man in question pays around $110,000 a year in taxes on the plant. It is appraised at around $4.2 Million. The sale price in 1982 was 2.3 Million.
mozilla

Unread postby bourbonv » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:09 pm

Dave,
As long as he does complain about you going in and getting the papers, please do and save what you find. Then make sure you get them in an institution before you leave this earth, because you don't know how many stories I have heard about children or grandchildren "throwing away all that junk paper" after the estate was settled.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby Kinsey Worker » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:51 pm

mozilla wrote:The tax records show that the man in question pays around $110,000 a year in taxes on the plant. It is appraised at around $4.2 Million. The sale price in 1982 was 2.3 Million.

Great work Jeff that is about the only thing he does and it is interesting as when the township tried to buy it He wanted 22 million for it! He is in my book a terrible person letting it get that way Publicker sold him it in 1982 as you said in order to have extra money for capital projects to get new equipment for their try at packaging other goods at Linfield and in the old Bigler Bottle House in Phila. They hoped to take on P&G, As we know it failed and he shut it up without even trying to rent it for storage as He Bragged He was going to do with in.

The Warehouses could have been made into Condo's and the front could have been made into a living History Museum Place, could have called it the Neuman Condo's At Kinsey Distillery or such!
Dave Z
========================================
Kinsey The unhurried Whiskey
Kinsey The Genial Gin
=======================================
Kinsey Worker

Unread postby mozilla » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:00 pm

Dave,
do you ever remember seeing Wild Turkey bottles being filled there? They did not list Kentucky on their label till midway through the 70's. Just about the sametime that Publicker was heading downhill.
mozilla

Unread postby Kinsey Worker » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:31 am

Jeff i can't say I can remember WT there but, we were always doing big jobs for other Distillerys due to the fact
1. We had so much aging Whiskey there and,

2. We as I have said and the Man I have talked to who was as high as you could get in Publicker also told Me that we could each day do whatever we needed and at the same time do whatever another Company needed. He used the example of Seagrams and I do remeber us doing some work for them. For me the Funny part was one time a guy I knew was saying to me he would never drink our Liquors only Jacquins, and I said to him well we just got done doing some for Jacquins he said well you used thier products to do it and I told him the only thing that was theirs was the bottles & Labels it was our Whiskeys and mixures making them boy was he mad. Also lots of Companys had us do all their work tthey just had their name on it. So it could be very possible that we did WT there. I want to look at some of my Brands lists I have and see if any of them talk about stuff for other Distiller's. If It was made in Pa it would have been us doing it as there was no one else there that could do that. I would love to look at the labels on one of those old Bottles for clues.

I can hardly wait for spring to talk to this important man about Publicker in the few minutes 2 hours I talked to him he told me he has hundreds of industrial Pictures of Publicker in Phila and Kinsey and of the Loging operation were they got their wood for Barrels somewhere in Ga.
Dave Z
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kinsey The Genial Gin
Join The Swing To Kinsey
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kinsey Worker

Unread postby Kinsey Worker » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:14 am

Mike Or Jeff or Both of you can you take the numbers from the Mash bill and turn them into the days production of Whiskey I would love to have an idea of How much the capacity of Old Dsp-Pa-12 was?
Dave Z
--------------------------------------------------
Kinsey The Genial Gin
-------------------------------------------------
Kinsey Worker

Unread postby Kinsey Worker » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:55 pm

Here is a picture of the Old Wooden bridge that went over the river in front of Kinsey from a Post card that fricky told me about for sale! The Year was 1909 and Kinsey is on the right side going toward Linfield. The Building is Old Warehouse A built in 1892.
Dave Z
---------------------------------------------------------------
Kinsey The Unhurried Whiskey For unhurried Moments
---------------------------------------------------------------
Attachments
202815712_o (Large).jpg
The Old Wooden covered bridge that was out in front of Kinsey back in 1909
202815712_o (Large).jpg (69.97 KiB) Viewed 19172 times
Kinsey Worker

Unread postby Kinsey Worker » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:37 am

Here are two Croped Copies of the Copy that Ludy Let me borrow of Jacob G Kinseys aireal Photo from 1937 I crooped one to show all the front buildings then the second one to give a closeup of the Old Dsp-Pa-12 still.
Far Back right the old Kinsey Warehouses F & G, then across from them the Old Dsp-pa-12 still water sistrane on top that says kinsey. Then to their Left the final grain building before going into the still, to its left the big Silo and in front of it smaller silo and the Grain drying Building next to it the Boiler room where stack is and in fron the Kinsey Maintaince Barn.

Far right front The little Building was the Company Office behind it toward the road the Old Kinsey Bottling house before it was enlarged double in size. This was used till the day they quit making whiskeys for Liqours after Continental Bought Kinsey. then to the back right is the Old Dsp-pa-10 Rye Building a barn, and behind it round roofs the old 1892 kinsey Warehouses A & B then the Newer Kinsey Warehouses D & E with Elevators towers on roof. The Old A & B had from what Ludy told me a hoist with two special Hooks you put on each barrel head side and lowered or Lifted the barrels up by a chain.
Also on the Left side of the Bottle House was the Old Company Home that Kinsey stayed in when there once he had bought a Home in Phila in the Parkside section Of Phila. Later Goerge Dill lived in the upper floor and the Plant Nurse used the Lower floor.
I just added a shot closer yet of the Old Still #12
One more note I am hoping that the pictures come through ok as using a smaller resizer to make them not come through so darn big on the page this is the first time so I guess I will find out. I just looked and works great an Idea from Jeff so thanks Jeff!
Dave Z
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
For Unhurried Moments
Kinsey Gin The Genial Gin
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Attachments
scan0016 Dsp-pa-12 shot 2 cropped more.JPG
Smallest crop I decided to crop a little more to get one of just the Dsp-pa-12 may not be the bestlooking shot but shows as close as i can I can of the still
scan0016 Dsp-pa-12 shot 2 cropped more.JPG (82.99 KiB) Viewed 19155 times
scan0016 Dsp-pa-12 shot 2 (Large) (Small).JPG
Second Smallest crop to show the Old Dsp-pa-12 and some buildings better
scan0016 Dsp-pa-12 shot 2 (Large) (Small).JPG (74.78 KiB) Viewed 19153 times
scan0016 (Large) #1 (Small).JPG
The Biggest of the three croped Pictures showing all buildings wxcept the Ware H which was in the first original picture I posted on this thread a while back
scan0016 (Large) #1 (Small).JPG (73.8 KiB) Viewed 19147 times
Kinsey Worker

Unread postby Kinsey Worker » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:40 am

When I started working at Kinsey in 1966 I worked on the yard gang it was our job to mow the lawns and keep all the flowers and grass perfect in the Summer and do snow removing unload coal cars sweep out and clean the buildings including the ones not used even upstairs in the old Number 12 Still.

Looking at the still in these pictures we would ring out at night in the front of the building and while we waited would feed the fish that someone had put in the old Mash tanks still having water in them on that floor! There were carp and suckers and they were giant in size guys would drop loaves of bread down and they would jump to get it.
Down below was a tunnel along the bottom where we took our lunch break when I was on the Yard gang. Our Boss was John Zuber and he was a great guy to work for.

We always had plenty of work to do as Mr. Neuman wanted things clean and kept up. Days went quick and we were always busy. We had an Old Ford Farm tractor and wagon we used to haul the racks when they were being removed from the warehouses And we had a 1950 Ford Pickup we used to haul mowers and trash to the dump down back where many old cars and trucks were junked.
Dave Z
------------------------------------------------------------------
For Unhurried Moments
Kinsey The Genial Gin
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Kinsey Worker

Unread postby Kinsey Worker » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:01 am

I went to Kinsey on Thanksgiving day as by myself that day and when I found the Old Mash Bills and loss Chart I posted on that Thread I was amazed to see laying on the Floor in the Old Government Mens Locker room the Old artificial Christmas tree that they put up every year at around Thanksgiving it was a sad moment for me looking at part of it laying there and Thinking Of Sam Lipkin and Bob Smith and the Other good Guys that were Government Men back then.

There it lay never to be put up again it was there and they are all gone. That is why it is so important for me to tell all I can about Working at Kinsey and the People there and the Whiskeys we made and of Si Neuman a Man with so much Vision and such a Leader of men!

I then thought of Charlie Seipler roaring out of the old Grain drying Building on a cold morning like it is today in pa. On his old Model A frame with no windshield no fenders and a home made flat bed on the back with just a seat bolted to the frame and 100 Horse Ford Flat head for power that Dickie Pfeifer put in it for him. He would Pull out and Punch grears with Smoke blowing out of his old time style Corn Cob Pipe! And the Tires would spin I loved to get there early and watch Charlie Roar out. Charlie was our Electric guy in Plant Maintaince and he was good at what he did and he was one of my Favorites back then.
Dave Z
------------------------------------------------------------------
Kinsey The Unhurried Whiskey For Unhurried Moments
Kinsey The Genial Gin
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Kinsey Worker

Unread postby Kinsey Worker » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:32 pm

When I started working at Kinsey I was very surprised to see some of the old Fermenter tanks in Dps-pa-12 still had water that was put in them when it was shut down in 1951. In the tank in the far left front corner of this picture I am posting one of 3 of the only pictures I have of old #12 got them from someone else as When I went there it was already gone was full of Large Fish that some of the Guys had put in there through the years. We would be waiting to ring out and tosing Loaves of Bread in to feed them. There were Carps,Suckers and all other kinds in there.

They would jump up to get the bread it was an amazing sight for a Kid of 19 to see such a thing! When I was in the Yard Gang I always voluntiered to sweep in there I loved exploring it very much. The Old Honeywell disc's were put in the quality controler the night before dated for some day in 1951 which it never got to run as shut down forever!
Dave Z
-----------------------------------------------------------------
For Unhurried Moments
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Attachments
DCP00999%20%28Large%29kinseymashtanks (Small).jpg
The Old Fermenter Tanks in Dsp-Pa-12 one closest to far left front had many Fish swiming in it!
DCP00999%20%28Large%29kinseymashtanks (Small).jpg (42.14 KiB) Viewed 19089 times
Last edited by Kinsey Worker on Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kinsey Worker

Unread postby Kendall » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:12 pm

Kinsey Worker,
Thank you for all your post, please keep up the great work.
Kendall

Unread postby Kinsey Worker » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:18 pm

Kendall and Everyone else here are some more Pictures from Kinsey I took on on Saturday it was very cold and I got a great full length shot of the 1966 Bottling House which is 2 football fields long. and some shots inside the big whiskey incoming Black tanks enclosure and also a couple of shots of some of my collection of Kinsey / Continental Distilling stuff.

Including my Explosion Proof Switches with matching Pilot lights from there a Electrian friend Jim F. wired to give me a living example of what we had to have for safety there. If i ever get to give a speech again i can plug them in and show and explain the reasons that the had these types of electrics there. One shot taken with flash to show them and another without to show them lit.
Also some of my Bottles my lacquered Barrel Staves and my Signs and cased Labeled Bottles all saved for the sake of History they will one day be in museums and the Limerick Historic society building!
Dave Z --- Kinsey Worker--
-----------------------------------------------------------
For Unhurried Moments
Kinsey The Genial Gin
----------------------------------------------------------------
Attachments
DSCN0430 (Small).JPG
sign on tank
DSCN0430 (Small).JPG (57.35 KiB) Viewed 19049 times
DSCN0429 (Small).JPG
Meter on Black Tank
DSCN0429 (Small).JPG (56.67 KiB) Viewed 19052 times
DSCN0428 (Small).JPG
Going into the Black Tank enclosure
DSCN0428 (Small).JPG (46.82 KiB) Viewed 19050 times
DSCN0427 (Small).JPG
Big Black incoming whiskey Tanks
DSCN0427 (Small).JPG (87.57 KiB) Viewed 19046 times
DSCN0426 (Small).JPG
Picture taken on saturday boy was it cold of the 1966 Bottling house coming down the bank from O building I finally found a spot I could get whole thing in, From Black tanks to water tank is how long it is 2 football fields 600 feet long it was the world biggest in its time.
DSCN0426 (Small).JPG (59.4 KiB) Viewed 19046 times
DSCN0417 (Small).JPG
Picture of some of my Labeled cases of Bottles never used
DSCN0417 (Small).JPG (31.65 KiB) Viewed 19044 times
DSCN0419 (Small).JPG
Old Barrel Staves that sat outside for 20 yrs Fricky Lettered and Lacqured for me
DSCN0419 (Small).JPG (80.29 KiB) Viewed 19046 times
DSCN0410 (Small).JPG
Old Gauging of Lose per month Chart I saved from ruin in the Government Building
DSCN0410 (Small).JPG (38.53 KiB) Viewed 19041 times
DSCN0414 (Small).JPG
Some of My Kinsey / Continental Distilling Bottles and stuff including my Bonded Wareouse P signs on the wall and my Kinsey Stock Cert!
DSCN0414 (Small).JPG (83.18 KiB) Viewed 19046 times
DSCN0420 (Large) (Small).JPG
Picture of switches taken with out flash showing them lit
DSCN0420 (Large) (Small).JPG (53.9 KiB) Viewed 19040 times
DSCN0421 (Large) (Small).JPG
Exlopsion Proof Switches I brought home with matching Pilot Lights from Kinseyand had a Electrian Friend wire for me as a living example of the safety things we had to have at the plant.
DSCN0421 (Large) (Small).JPG (71.77 KiB) Viewed 19045 times
DSCN0416 (Large) (Small).JPG
Dated March 10 1951 matched set of Grain recieving and Mash bill for Old Dspa-pa-12 I had framed and matted
DSCN0416 (Large) (Small).JPG (34.48 KiB) Viewed 19040 times
Kinsey Worker

PreviousNext

Return to Bourbon Lore