Master Distillers of Stitzel-Weller

There's a lot of history and 'lore' behind bourbon so discuss both here.

Moderator: Squire

Master Distillers of Stitzel-Weller

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:53 pm

I have been putting together an exhibit of whiskey history for our 2nd floor meeting room where the Old Forester tasting will take place on Thursday. One of the cases has photographs of four of the five master distillers at Stitzel-Weller. These photographs are from the Edwin Foote collection and were gathered by him, but I do not have a photograph of the fifth and last master distiller - Ed Foote!

For the record the master distillers were Will McGill, Andy Cochran, Roy Hawes and Woody Willson on display with the missing Ed Foote being the fifth and last master distiller at Stitzel-Weller. I am unsure of the exact dates of service but Will McGill was there from when the distillery opened in 1935 to the late 40's. Andy Cochran was there from the late 40's to the early 50's (he died young). Roy Hawes was master distiller from the early 50's to about 1970. Woody Wilson was his replacement until 1983 when Ed Foote was hired to be Wilson's replacement. Ed was master distiller when the distillery closed down.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby cowdery » Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:17 pm

Ed Foote, 1992
Attachments
Ed Foote.jpg
Ed Foote.jpg (131.05 KiB) Viewed 4539 times
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby cowdery » Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:18 pm

More Ed Foote
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:22 pm

Chuck,
I called Ed and he donated a few other items to the Filson. The framed picture of him with Hawes and Wilson and couple of books on the Bronfman family are already in the display cases. He also donated 3 photos from the McKenna Distillery from the 50's/early 60's.

Thanks for the trying though. It is always good to have a chance to give Ed some well deserved credit.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Return to Bourbon Lore