History of Benchmark Bourbon

There's a lot of history and 'lore' behind bourbon so discuss both here.

Moderator: Squire

History of Benchmark Bourbon

Unread postby surveyor1 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:38 pm

Greetings,

I am a land surveyor and am trying to trace the history of Benchmark Bourbon. The name supposedly comes from the McAfee Brothers who were early surveyors in the Frankfort area.

What I would like to know is if the McAfee name associated with this bourbon traces itself back to the surveyors, or was the McAfee name just affixed to the it without any true family connection.

Approximately what year did Benchmark Bourbon originate, and where have the distilleries been located. Which companies have been associated with the Benchmark name and where is it distilled today?

Thanks,
Surveyor1
surveyor1

Benchmark Bourbon

Unread postby jdknaebel » Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:00 pm

Benchmark was introduced in 1967 by Segrams. I do not know which Segrams location was used to distill and age the bourbon. It was sold to Sazerac in 1989. After the purchase it was produced at the Ancient Age Distillery in Frankfort, which is now Buffalo Trace.

I don't know about the connection to Mcafee brothers.

Hope this helps.

JD
jdknaebel

Re: Benchmark Bourbon

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:15 am

jdknaebel wrote:Benchmark was introduced in 1967 by Segrams. I do not know which Segrams location was used to distill and age the bourbon.
I Hope this helps.

JD

It was the big Seagrams plant in Louisville per Chuck Cowdery.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby bunghole » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:19 am

Welcome to BourbonEnthusiast.com, Surveyor1! Good first post. You can find the answer on the Buffalo Trace website in their timeline and also in the book "The Great Crossing". The McAfee Brothers did indeed survey what would come to be known as Leestown and site of today's Buffalo Trace distillery in 1773. Quite a long and interesting history with many now famous names along with many twists and turns of fate.

The old Segram's Benchmark label was redesigned to become "McAfee's Benchmark" about the same time Buffalo Trace refurbished and reinvented itself.

To my palate the flavor profile has been changed for the better, and what is today's "McAfee's Benchmark" is a far better tasting bourbon than was the original Segram's "Benchmark".

:arrow: ima :smilebox:
bunghole

Return to Bourbon Lore