Who was Who in Distilling History - I W Bernheim

There's a lot of history and 'lore' behind bourbon so discuss both here.

Moderator: Squire

Who was Who in Distilling History - I W Bernheim

Unread postby bourbonv » Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:42 am

Bernheim, Isaac Wolfe

Born: Schmieheim, Baden, Germany, 4 November 1848.
Died: Santa Monica, California, 1 April 1945.
Married: Amanda Uri 1874

Companies Associated With: Bernheim Bros. 1872-1903
Bernheim Distilling Company 1903-1915

Brands Associated With: I W Harper

Contributions to the Industry: Leader in the field of high quality blended whiskey. Opposed Bottled-in-Bond Act. Created many point of sale advertising pieces.

Contributions to the Community: Philanthropist donating money for the library at the Hebrew Union College in Cincinnati, Statues of Henry Clay and Ephraim McDowell for Statuary Hall in the Capitol Building in Washington D.C. and Thomas Jefferson for the Courthouse in Jefferson County, Kentucky and Abraham Lincoln at Louisville Public Library, Waterworks of his home town in Germany, and a Home for the Young Men's Hebrew Association in Louisville, Kentucky. He is most famous for purchasing land and setting up the endowment for the Bernheim Arboretum and Research Forest south of Louisville.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby bunghole » Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:31 pm

Good old Wolfie!

Vickie & ima really enjoyed Bernheim Forest and had a rather hot & spicey picnic there. :shock: :wink:

PANTS AWAY BABY!

YEAH!

:arrow: ima :smoke:
bunghole

Unread postby gillmang » Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:42 pm

What an amazing life span. From mid-1800's origins in benighted, semi-medieval, soon-to-be doomed-in-three wars Central Europe he lived until the end of WW 2 with its innumerable signal atrocities, not least for his own people, and general low points for civilisation (thus bookending his life in a matching gloom). Still, by the time he died, man had flown jets and developed the atomic bomb (for good and bad). He did his largely beneficent work in the U.S.A., a free country that gave him rein to unleash his talents. Nice to see he repaid his adopted land generously and in his own way. I salute him but I salute more the country that gave him sanctuary and the freedom to spread his wings, the United States of America.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Re: Who was Who in Distilling History - I W Bernheim

Unread postby citydweller » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:29 am

I wasn't sure where to post this, but it's certainly relevant to Bernheim history. I have this large (44 x 32) I.W. Harper chromolithograph on canvas point-of-sale advertisement for Harper Rye Whiskey from 1912, in the original frame, with Bernheim ownership disclaimer tag on the back. All original, with some minor repairs needed. It's my favorite whiskey memorabilia piece in my collection (not counting the 1943 Old Overholt Rye BIB!), and unfortunately I need to move it along to a new home.

Enjoy the eye candy, and PM for more details.

harper1.jpg
44.5" x 32.5", original frame.
harper1.jpg (151.92 KiB) Viewed 7351 times

harper7.jpg
harper7.jpg (145.63 KiB) Viewed 7351 times
citydweller

Unread postby citydweller » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:49 am

P.S.- Almost forgot. I will (hopefully) be driving from Lancaster, PA to Chattanooga, TN next week. Delivery is available for anyone living close to Rt. 81 along the way.
citydweller

Unread postby bourbonv » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:04 am

Fantastic piece of history. If you drive through Louisville, I would love to see it in person. The UD Archive had this but it was about 75% paint loss - very bad shape.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Return to Bourbon Lore