Jacob Myers

There's a lot of history and 'lore' behind bourbon so discuss both here.

Moderator: Squire

Jacob Myers

Unread postby beaglegun » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:03 am

I've read about the first bourbon distillers in Ky and some readings have included Jacob Myers and some haven't. I believe he built a kiln or furnace to forge iron also. I believe he was in Lincoln Co Ky around 1790. I believe his daughter Mary, married Jim Beam. Does anyone have info? My family spells our name the same and we are from this area of Ky. I'm struggling to find info.
beaglegun

Re: Jacob Myers

Unread postby cowdery » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:50 pm

I had some contact back in 2003 with a guy named Paul Myers who said he was a descendant and had done some interesting research, but we lost contact. I recall there were some interesting connections, or possible connections, to the Beam family. He suspected Myers may have been Jacob Beam's mentor and his research supported that to some extent. Overall, the story of Jacob Myers is pretty remarkable, starting with his capture by indians as a child. It's well documented that he was operating a mill and distillery before 1781, which would make him early though not necessarily first. His niece was married to Jacob Beam. He is credited as starting the first ironworks in Kentucky.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Return to Bourbon Lore