Wikipedia

Check in here for reviews of whiskey related books and other materials

Moderator: Squire

Wikipedia

Unread postby cowdery » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:45 pm

I have made a small effort to "clean up" the Wikipedia entry on bourbon whiskey and some other, related, subjects. Wikipedia inspires some strong feelings in people, but I think it is overall a great thing and it's fun to contribute. I invite all of you to at least check it out and, if you feel so moved, by all means jump in.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby LogicalFrank » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:19 pm

I am a Wikipedia devotee and I hear you on the stirring up strong feelings. I did a bunch of work in the beer section and ended up just having to quit on account of all the petty squabbles that are going on. Lots of tempers flare and sometimes it is hard to back down when you're arguing even if you can't find a source to cite. I didn't then but now I won't do anything other than copy-editing over there unless I can cite the source I'm using right then in there. If I had done that to begin w/, I would have saved myself a lot of trouble and doing the same would be my advice for someone new to it. You don't have a leg to stand on unless you have a source to cite. It's an encyclopedia not a blog.

I will definitely try to check out the bourbon stuff. Probably can't add much aside from my own opinions though--and those have no place on the Wikipedia.
Howdy Doody's past the House of Aquarius. Bring me more whiskey and rye!
LogicalFrank
Ice Giant

Unread postby Bas » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:37 pm

That's how i got here :D
Bas

Unread postby cowdery » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:27 pm

Since Bas bumped this thread and re-reading Frank's post from a year ago, I should say that I've more-or-less washed my hands of the Wikipedia bourbon whiskey entry. It's just more trouble than it's worth trying to keep ahead of the idiots who have mucked it up again. Wikipedia is great in a lot of ways but it has its faults, which are certainly on display in the whiskey-related entries.

How would I write it? Well, you can see by looking up Bourbon Whiskey in the New Encyclopedia of Southern Culture, Volume 7, Foodways, which I wrote (the bourbon entry, not the whole thing).
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby Bourbon HQ » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:44 pm

I always love Chuck's straight forward honest responses. It's isn't politically correct and it's refreshing!

Gayle
Bourbon HQ

Unread postby Dump Bucket » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:30 am

That is something that could be fixed on Wiki though... when they have documented experts that have posted and cleaned up the "not so correct info", they could freeze the expert info and let people add below...

For me it is just a good start so I can have a direction...

Here's a good one...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exoatmosph ... ll_Vehicle

The thrusters are built near the BevMo I visited so much last year :D
"What I do I do because I like to do." Alex DeLarge ACWO
Dump Bucket
Bourbon Head
Bourbon Head

Unread postby BourbonDrinker » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:57 pm

I'm sad to see that the External Links seciton got axed... A lot of people have found BE.com and BD.com from that page---it's a great way for interested parties to learn more about their favorite beverage!
Devin
Head Drinker
http://www.BourbonDrinker.com
Bourbon Ratings and Discussion
BourbonDrinker

Return to The Library