Crown Royal Black

Talk about Tennessee, American and Rye Whiskey here.

Moderator: Squire

Crown Royal Black

Unread postby Mike » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:23 pm

I happened across what is to me a new Crown Royal. It is called Crown Royal Black and I suppose it is named for the dark color.........much darker than any other CR whisky.........and it is 90 proof. It is matured in charred oak barrels which I presume to be used bourbon barrels because the label claims it has deep bourbon notes, which it mimics pretty well.

There are hints of molasses, dark cherries, prunes, rye, and leather in the nose. With no proof of such, I suspect this whisky has a mite of caramel syrup in it.........maybe Gary Gillman knows? Also, I suspect there is more than the normal amount of malt here (but what, you ask, is normal malt for Canadian whisky?......I don't know) because the sweetness seems malty to my palate.

The taste is good with soft malty sweetness along with the molasses, cherries, and prunes, and, the usual Canadian rye spice to warm the mid palate nicely. The 90 proof gives it more robustness and more length in the finish.

I paid $23 for this whisky and find it quite nice and priced about right. I expect to use it for the occasional sip and as a blending agent with other whiskies. I have it in mind to work some of it with the high proof Stagg's or other barrel proof bourbons to soften them slightly.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Re: Crown Royal Black

Unread postby gillmang » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:43 pm

Mike, good notes. Not sure how they achieve that extra sweetness, it may be addition of bourbon, sherry, caramel, or some combination. It is very nice and well-priced. Reminds me a bit of the old 70's Benchmark Bourbon from Seagram, there is a house style at work here I think (rare and intermittent as one sees it).

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby gillmang » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:43 pm

Mike, good notes. Not sure how they achieve that extra sweetness, it may be addition of bourbon, sherry, caramel, or some combination. It is very nice and well-priced. Reminds me a bit of the old 70's Benchmark Bourbon from Seagram, there is a house style at work here I think (rare and intermittent though it may be).

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby Shell@freilich.com » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:31 pm

Crown Royal Black, which is distributed only in the U.S., is reportedly aged only in oak barrels (and not finished in sherry, cognac, or port barrels). I believe that Crown Royal does not use additives, such as caramel, in its whiskies.

My hunch is that they increased the proportion of corn in the mash for the Crown Royal Black for the extra sweetness.

I favor the Crown Royal Reserve (which has great reviews). Crown Royal also produces a Limited Edition that has had very good tasting reviews. Unfortunately, the Limited Edition is only sold in Canada - I haven't had a chance to sample it.

Shell
Shell
Shell@freilich.com

Unread postby Shell » Fri May 06, 2011 2:29 pm

Shell@freilich.com wrote:Crown Royal Black, which is distributed only in the U.S., is reportedly aged only in oak barrels (and not finished in sherry, cognac, or port barrels). I believe that Crown Royal does not use additives, such as caramel, in its whiskies.

My hunch is that they increased the proportion of corn in the mash for the Crown Royal Black for the extra sweetness.

I favor the Crown Royal Reserve (which has great reviews). Crown Royal also produces a Limited Edition that has had very good tasting reviews. Unfortunately, the Limited Edition is only sold in Canada - I haven't had a chance to sample it.

Shell

Correction: Crown Royal Black is being sold in Ontario, Canada and, according to the LCBO liquor store, is popular. I picked up the Crown Royal Limited Edition last month on a trip across the border to Windsor, Ontario. It is very good.

Shell
Shell
Shell

Unread postby rayor » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:48 am

Shell@freilich.com wrote:Crown Royal Black, which is distributed only in the U.S., is reportedly aged only in oak barrels (and not finished in sherry, cognac, or port barrels). I believe that Crown Royal does not use additives, such as caramel, in its whiskies.

Shell

Oh my God! A 90 proof Canadian whisky? Pigs flying, Hell freezing, etc., etc.?
This is a major step into the late 20th century for the staid Canadian distilling industry, and is hopefully a harbinger of things to come. Great news from up north!
rayor

Return to Non-Bourbon Whiskey