New Wiser's Pot Still Rye

Talk about Tennessee, American and Rye Whiskey here.

Moderator: Squire

New Wiser's Pot Still Rye

Unread postby gillmang » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:35 pm

Just out in Ontario is Wiser's Legacy, advertised on the label as a pot still rye whisky. It is 45% ABV. No age statement. Corby bought Wiser's in the 1930's and itself later became part of Hiram Walker or controlled by it I believe. I am not sure now who owns the Corby brands, maybe Beam Global or Pernod Ricard (I think the latter). They are produced at the historical Hiram Walker plant in Windsor, Ontario.

The whisky has a mildy spicy nose, quite different, as is the taste, from straight rye, or bourbon for that matter. The taste is very full for Canadian whisky, with noticeable accents of mint, beeswax and spice/rosewater you don't normally get in Canadian whisky. It has a sweetish, maple-like flavour which wraps around the said spices and flowers. The label states it is a blend which I would think means different rye whiskies were combined. These might be whiskies of different ages, or some made from malted rye and some from unmalted rye. I don't get new charred wood character here. Some of the components may be so aged, but I would think ex-bourbon barrels were the main cooperage used. This likely explains the varying character from a U.S. straight.

I would think part at least of what is in the bottle derives from malted rye. Legacy has a relative mildness, akin to single malts, which may derive from that. Lot 40, an earlier pot still release from Corby, was apparently a combination of malted rye and unmalted rye whiskies. IMO, Legacy is much better: clearly older with better flavours and development.

It is an excellent product and stands on its own merits. To describe the taste to those familiar with U.S. products, it is something like a cross between a good regular Canadian whiskey and Handy rye or maybe the younger Sazerac rye (neither of which has a big charred character), with a touch of rosewater added. But the pot still character is still very evident.

Kudos to Corby for releasing another pot still whisky and presumably another of its flavouring whiskies (or something close to them), as urged for many years by consumer writers and whisky devotees.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Re: New Wiser's Pot Still Rye

Unread postby Mike » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:13 pm

I have an eye out for this whiskey, but no luck in finding it so far. I have seen a couple of other Wiser whiskies on the shelf but was unsure as to whether to try them.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby MirandaSopper » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:31 am

I guess Canadian whisky contains Rosewater for flavor and aroma.
MirandaSopper

Unread postby Shell@freilich.com » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:38 am

gillmang wrote:Just out in Ontario is Wiser's Legacy, advertised on the label as a pot still rye whisky. It is 45% ABV. No age statement. Corby bought Wiser's in the 1930's and itself later became part of Hiram Walker or controlled by it I believe. I am not sure now who owns the Corby brands, maybe Beam Global or Pernod Ricard (I think the latter). They are produced at the historical Hiram Walker plant in Windsor, Ontario. ...

Lot 40, an earlier pot still release from Corby, was apparently a combination of malted rye and unmalted rye whiskies. IMO, Legacy is much better: clearly older with better flavours and development....

Kudos to Corby for releasing another pot still whisky and presumably another of its flavouring whiskies (or something close to them), as urged for many years by consumer writers and whisky devotees.

Gary

Gary, thank you for a very informative review. I am a huge fan of Lot 40, and consider it a superb 100% rye. (I'm fortunate to be located in MI, across from Windsor, Ont, and am able to pick it up for ~ US $40 when I drive across the river. Lot 40 is, thankfully, now being distributed in some U.S. states, but at ~$60.) Wiser's Legacy is an excellent, truly classic, premium whisky. I find Wiser's Legacy to be softer and silkier that Lot 40 (somewhat akin to Crown Royal Reserve). I find Lot 40 to be much bolder and spicier, and more comparable to American straight ryes.

Pernod Ricard is a majority shareholder in Corby's, which is a distiller and distributor of alcoholic products. Pernod Ricard and Corby's have an agreeement as to distiling and marketing one another's brands. For example, Corby's operates the Hiram Walker Distillery in Windsor, Ont., with the distillery owned by Pernod Ricard. At the Hiram Walker Distillery, Corby's produces and bottles a range of alcoholic products for Corby's brands, for Pernod Ricard brands, as well as under contract for others. Lot 40 and Wiser's are both Corby brands.

Corby's also produces, at the Windsor distillery, Canadian Club whiskies under contract with Beam, Inc. Beam bottles Canadian Club at one of its KY bottling locations for export beyond North America.

Interestingly, Canadian Club whiskies are quite popular in the U.S. However, Wiser's whiskies are the best selling Canadian whiskies in Canada (outselling Canadian Club)!

Shell
Shell
Shell@freilich.com

Unread postby Mike » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:32 pm

I have some Blended Wiser's 18 YO whiskey that is superb. It has a nice rye bite in the background, and, I suspect significant barley to give it a soft rounded sweetness. The oak Is quite subdued but certainly present. There is some mint and an interesting touch of pine astringency. A great marriage of sweetness and spice, softness and bite.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby Squire » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:59 pm

The Wiser's Legacy is one I've had my eye on since it's available not too far away in Florida. Good price as well.
Squire

Unread postby Agalloch » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:07 pm

I haven't seen that around but I have seen their $20 a bottle blended rye. Has anyone tried it? I'm quite curious, Ive read that it is aged 5+ years unlike a lot of Canadian Whiskies it packs a punch. I also read they use caramel coloring for a consistent color which doesn't thrill me.
Agalloch

Unread postby gillmang » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:54 am

Wiser's 18 years old is very good, as is Canadian Club 20, say, or Crown Royal Special Reserve, but Lot 40 and the new Collingwood 21 year old rye (different distillery) are in a different league as having much more the frank straight rye ("distillery") character the subtle Canuck blends generally lack. Wiser's Legacy kind of straddles both; you can taste the true rye part, i.e., the part that is distilled at a low proof by comparison to that of the base whisky in most Canadian blends. But Legacy has elements of a blend as well. Same thing with the various Forty Creek whiskies.

Of these, Collingwood 21 year old is the best by half, IMO.

Gary
Last edited by gillmang on Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby Squire » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:47 pm

Clever whisky then. The primary attraction Wisers Legacy has for me is I actually may be able to get some the next time the kids head down to Pensacola.
Squire

Return to Non-Bourbon Whiskey