The taste of rye bread

Talk about Tennessee, American and Rye Whiskey here.

Moderator: Squire

The taste of rye bread

Unread postby Mike » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:00 pm

I have looked for rye grain bread without the presence of caraway seeds for a long time. I was recently in Europe and found some rye bread in small packages made for the airlines and was able to taste it without the disruptive caraway. The flavor has, as you might expect, a bit of an edge and has none of the sweetness of wheat. It comes across as an elemental grain with great nutritional value (is that true?...........I don't know). It does remind me of the high rye whiskies in its edginess.............very unlike wheat bread. Once accustomed to rye bread (sans caraway seeds), wheat bread might seem light................how could it be otherwise?
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Re: The taste of rye bread

Unread postby delaware_phoenix » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:45 am

A friend used to bake homemade bread for local grocers and folk. I remember she often had requests for rye bread. I don't remember her using caraway seeds. Her problem was making an all rye bread without wheat because it ended up being so heavy. And most commercial rye breads in the US do seem to start with wheat flour.
Cheryl Lins - Proprietor and distiller, Delaware Phoenix Distillery, Walton, NY
delaware_phoenix

Unread postby Mike » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:53 pm

I have been informed by my 'corrector' in this life that we got this rye bread in one of the hotels where we stayed in our recent European trip. Unfortunately (if it matters) neither she nor I can recall which hotel was offering it with breakfast. It is German in origin (although we were not in Germany) and is called Vollkornbrot, which I take to mean something like........'folks who eat this bread work hard and go to bed early so they can dream of some other food'.

It is wholemeal rye bread and contains only rye, water, salt and yeast. It is quite dense. At this very moment I am having a sip of this bread and expect, Pavlov-like, to soon be slightly inebriated from the spicy edgy quality of the stuff. I don't think I would enjoy subsisting on a diet of this, but do prefer it to anchovies.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby delaware_phoenix » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:21 pm

I don't doubt you at all. At least at our local supermarket most of the rye bread actually starts with wheat.

I remember seeing at one of the local organic grocery stores nearby a small little dense loaf like you describe, I'm sure it was rye. They may have gotten it from a bakery in Toronto (Canada). I'll have to go look for some of this.

I did a little searching and that name Vollkornbrot comes right up. Here's a recipe, and it is all rye.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/cook ... index.html

Prefer it to anchovies? I can get behind that. :thumbup:
Cheryl Lins - Proprietor and distiller, Delaware Phoenix Distillery, Walton, NY
delaware_phoenix

Return to Non-Bourbon Whiskey